REEF SEEKERS - DECEMBER 2021 NEWSLETTER

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ken Kurtis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Classes & trips, Little Pufferfish, & more

mail
mail
Above you'll find the December, 2021, issue of the Reef Seekers newsletter, which should download as a 298KB PDF file of four pages. Just click on it to open it or download it.

You can also access the newsletter through our website simply by using this link:
http://www.reefseekers.com/newsletter.html. Read it on-line or print out a copy for yourself. In either case, you'll need a copy of Acrobat Reader, which comes pre-loaded on most computers. However if you don't have it, or don't have the latest version, you can obtain a free copy by going to this site: (http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html) and following the on-screen prompts.

If you have any comments, thoughts, concerns, etc., about anything you read, please don't hesitate to e-mail me. Thanks for diving with Reef Seekers.

- Ken (for all the gang here at Reef Seekers Dive Co.)

Ken, how often do you do the squid dives? My dive buddy and I would really like to see them. If you see them one week to you usually see them the next? We are in the central valley, so it's a 5 hour drive for us.
Thanks

Ken, how often do you do the squid dives?
The best answer is . . . It's a crapshoot. And remember too that for those of us where this is a 30-minute drive, if we see a dozen squid, we're happy. Drive five hours for a dozen and you'll go, "That's it???" But I know we've had evenings where the people that went in at 7PM got skunked and the people who went at 9PM got inundated.

The best thing to do in general is keep an eye on this board as there are enough of us who dive this that we'll post if we start hitting the Motherlode. And sometimes its just really cool to see fields of eggs clusters, which is also something you can see during the day.
Squid eggs.jpg

So I really wish there was a definitive answer I could give you but there's not. However, if you DO hear about a good run and decided to com e down, it would be nice if you could plan to stay a few days and really max it out. Do two night dives, find somewhere to sleep, do a daytime dive or two, couple more night dives, etc., before you head back. Also bear in mind that on the drive back, you'll be at 4100 feet when you go through the Grapevine. Make sure you have plenty of surface interval before you tackle that lest you turn around and come back to extend your stay in one of our chambers. :wink:

Thank you for the additional information Ken. I will keep an eye on the board and hopefully we can come down to see the squid run. Staying for a few days sounds like a good plan too.

Back
Top Bottom