Reef House Resort - Roatan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Frogman48

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Has anyone been to, or had any experience with Reef House Resort on the island of Roatan? Just heard about it and was wondering what it is like in comparison to Fantasy Island or Anthony's Key

Hi Frogman,

You should do a search on Reef House Resort in this forum and specifically the Bay Islands. There are some reviews.

I was at RHR a month ago for a week, and had a great time. Below is my post about it from a few weeks ago. Sorry I have not been to FI or AKR, so I can't compare. One thing I can tell you is that RHR is much more secluded than the others. It is a small 11 room resort on a secluded caye off Roatan, with very personal attention from the owners, a cottage-like relaxed atmosphere, excellent food, uncrowded dive boat, great DM, and good dives.

Ayisha:
We had a super time at RHR. The reef was healthy and colourful, we saw more large and small critters than I thought we would see. Daveet, the DM is great at finding all kinds of critters. The food was great. Larry and Carol, the co-owners, were awesome, so much fun. Please note, however, that Larry and Carol are not usually there, they now live in Vegas. Mike, the co-owner, is normally there and is there now. I haven't met Mike, so not sure what he's like.

RHR is secluded on a little caye off Roatan. If you want a quiet, relaxing holiday (unless you're with a rowdy group of 14 like ours) where the main entertainment is diving, RHR is the place. A water taxi (like our dive boat) is required to get over (10 minutes) to Roatan, and they arrange a taxi for the day/afternoon to get to Coxen Hole, West End and/or West Bay for shopping/sightseeing. They can also arrange tours for ziplining, the spa, etc. The one stipulation is that they require that all guests return to the water taxi by 5:45 PM, so no evening forays onto Roatan are possible. They say that this is because the crossing is dangerous at night.

I've been to Reef House several times. I've been diving for 19 years all over the world and this is one of the few resorts I've visited multiple times. It's very inexpensive and the owners are terrific people. Some of them live on the property. As mentioned above, it's on a remote caye just off Roatan itself. I'd guess the entire caye is maybe 200 yards wide and 500 yards long. About 50 families live there behind and next to the resort. In some places it's only a hundred yards or so from Roatan. You taxi by boat from the very scenic village of Oak Ridge. They offer at least 3 dives a day and they have a house reef only 50 yards or so from shore that is top notch. The food is plentiful and very good. Davit, the dive guide has been there for many years and he's terrific at finding things.
I actually lived on Roatan for 4 months at Paya Bay which is about 6 miles away. As dive manager at Paya Bay, I often brought my guests to dive at the Reef House Wall.
I myself am going to Reef House on April 18th. I've seen most of the resorts on Roatan and many are fancier than Reef House. Most all inclusives are more expensive. I've not stayed at Fantasy Island but I have been to Anthony's Key. Fantasy Island has changed ownership many times and my reports from friends still on the Island say little good about it. Anthony's is a great place but a little impersonal for me. They have as many as 75 guests or more and the dive schedules are fairly fixed. Reef House goes where you want to go when you want to go. It's ground are small but very relaxing and right on the ocean with outstanding views. They price their beer fairly too.
I've heard all the stories about Coco View on this board and I've not stayed there. I even have friends that work there. I have visited it a few times but I still prefer Reef House and that's why I choose it myself. I highly recommend it.

I appreciate the replies and the advice on searching Bay Islands specifically. Thanks for your input. I think I'll be booking a trip to Reef House later this year.

Has anyone been to, or had any experience with Reef House Resort on the island of Roatan? Just heard about it and was wondering what it is like in comparison to Fantasy Island or Anthony's Key

I have been diving Roatan since 1990. Stayed at CocoView, Fantasy Island, AKR, Reef House, Bananarama, Mayan Princess, Inn of Last Resort, Las Rocas and Reef House. AKR is on north side of island with a great diving operation and the dolphins but the steps up to the restaurant will wear you out. Fantasy Island all inclusive dive operation is good but most of the guests are nondivers since they changed their customers to day trippers. Only using one dive boat a day currently with a great DM. Good location for French Harbor and west locations. Reef House has only one dive boat with a great DM and boat captain. Davitt and Choco are 2 of the best. Davitt will show you all of the small and large sea life including sea horses. Since Reek House in on the east side you will be the only dive boat you will ever see. If you are a serious diver this is one of the best all inclusive packages on the island. I have stayed with them 4 times (two 2 weeks stays and 2 one week stays). Am going back again in October. However,nothing to do at Reef House but diving, eating and sleeping.

I have been diving Roatan since 1990. Stayed at CocoView, Fantasy Island, AKR, Reef House, Bananarama, Mayan Princess, Inn of Last Resort, Las Rocas and Reef House. AKR is on north side of island with a great diving operation and the dolphins but the steps up to the restaurant will wear you out. Fantasy Island all inclusive dive operation is good but most of the guests are nondivers since they changed their customers to day trippers. Only using one dive boat a day currently with a great DM. Good location for French Harbor and west locations. Reef House has only one dive boat with a great DM and boat captain. Davitt and Choco are 2 of the best. Davitt will show you all of the small and large sea life including sea horses. Since Reek House in on the east side you will be the only dive boat you will ever see. If you are a serious diver this is one of the best all inclusive packages on the island. I have stayed with them 4 times (two 2 weeks stays and 2 one week stays). Am going back again in October. However,nothing to do at Reef House but diving, eating and sleeping.

I am going to Roatan from Oct 10-24. I was in West End last year at this time for ten days and really enjoyed the diversity of the diving and the fine reefs. I have the option of staying at Reef House for the week of Oct 17-24. In your opinion, would the diving at Reef Hose be a worthwhile upgrade/supplement to the diving around West End? Reef house would be more expensive for me, and the added travel would be a slight inconvenience, but if the diving is worth it I'll go! What would you do: two weeks at West End, or a week there and a week at Reef House?
Thanks for any recommendation or guidance you can provide.
Sandy Crane, Boise, ID.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom