Question Reef hooks- single vs double vs 2 singles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
Bolivian47
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So my wife and I just did a dive in Maldives where we could have used some reef hooks. In researching to purchase some, we see doubles and singles but no dual singles. Any reason? Why couldn't we make a dual single (for portability and hooking angle variability plus the benefit of dual hook fixation)? Also we were thinking of making some w straps instead of cord (the ones used for portable hammocks) that way we can adjust the length. Also what if we used titanium instead of SS? Has anyone used cobalt chrome in seawater?

Anyone have any input on these ideas?

Thx

EVR

I'm not following what you mean by 'dual single' vs 'double'? Can you explain a bit more?

I own a single & a triple. I have used a double and don't care for it.

Why not titanium? Cost I'm sure. I'd imagine a titanium reef hook would be quite a bit more expensive than SS. Regarding cobalt chrome, I don't even know what that is!

No need to overthink this. A single hook works fine, is easier to hook and unhook, and is more compact when stowed. I would pay more attention to how the line is managed that the hook itself. I'm a fan of 1"/25mm soft webbing rather than small line because it is less likely to knot up.

I set mine up so I can interchange the reef hook with a Jon line hook for decompression. I also don't care for Velcro so found a small flat bag with an all plastic zipper that stores the webbing and hook.

I'm not following what you mean by 'dual single' vs 'double'? Can you explain a bit more?

I own a single & a triple. I have used a double and don't care for it.

Why not titanium? Cost I'm sure. I'd imagine a titanium reef hook would be quite a bit more expensive than SS. Regarding cobalt chrome, I don't even know what that is!
I mean a double hook is a single rod bent into 2 hooks- what I am calling
No need to overthink this. A single hook works fine, is easier to hook and unhook, and is more compact when stowed. I would pay more attention to how the line is managed that the hook itself. I'm a fan of 1"/25mm soft webbing rather than small line because it is less likely to knot up.

I set mine up so I can interchange the reef hook with a Jon line hook for decompression. I also don't care for Velcro so found a small flat bag with an all plastic zipper that stores the webbing and hook.
yes and my wife & I do tend to overthink things!! Lol... what do you mean webbing ? Can u send a pic/link? Do you mean the coated stainless coil over a rope/paracord?

Wait I see now- yes I'd agree webbing would be better to avoid tangling/knots. Thoughts on using a strap like this to be length adjustable? These are used for hammocks and hold 400lbs.

Attachments

• 5AB60D6F-620D-40AA-AA96-50F6C8DD6842.jpeg
    5AB60D6F-620D-40AA-AA96-50F6C8DD6842.jpeg
    40.1 KB · Views: 65
  • 7CC510B5-FAC7-4555-8AE8-5FD94E471DCE.jpeg
    7CC510B5-FAC7-4555-8AE8-5FD94E471DCE.jpeg
    112.4 KB · Views: 60

I see. I'm not sure I see the necessity or utility of that design (2 hooks on a single rod), which is probably why I've never seen one.

When using a reef hook just for myself, I prefer a single hook. When using a reef hook attached to a reel that carries a float & flag for drift diving, I prefer a sturdy 3-pronged hook.

That is how I understood what you wrote in the OP and agree with @Divin'Papaw. I have never used a dual hook but have seen them.

I do like the reef hooks with a longer shank. I think it makes it a little more versatile and is easier to handle. Consider that you will have to carry it so the stowed form-factor matters. You might deploy and stow it 2-4 times on a single dive so using complicated knots on the line will get old fast.

I have seen divers using line that just stuff the whole wad in a BC pocket. It ends up a ball of spaghetti in short order.

I also don't care for Velcro so found a small flat bag with an all plastic zipper that stores the webbing and hook.
A scuba bag? Or something off the shelf? Asking bc it would be nice to stow on webbing or a D-ring...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom