reef fish in okinawa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jeble

Reaction score
Im trying to track down some information about diving and reef fish in Okinawa. I am a graduate student at the University of Hawaii and am working on a genetic comparison of Yellow Tang populations (they are a species of interest here because so many are taken for the aquarium trade). Ive been told that they occur in southern Japan but can't track down any info on their abundance. Has anyone diving in Okinawa seen yellow tang, and if so, how common are they (1 every know and then, several per dive, large schools)? The reason I ask is because we are close to wrapping up this project and only require surveying southern japan or vicinity. If we can get some decent info we will likely be making a dive trip out in November so would appreciate any advice you might have.

Thanks for your time
jeff eble

Hi,

If you send me the latin name and a picture I may be able to help out.

Thomas

Did a quick search and found the latin and Japanese name (Kiirohagi). It is not so common but you can find it in Okinawa. At least in Kerama. Unfortunately it seems to be common in aquariums here as well... japan-diver may know more and be able to take care of you if you come over.

Thomas

Yes we do have them down here, but never tried a desnity study. Will have to take a look today while out diving as to how many I see. I can't recall schools ever but will consult some of the other DMs and instructors to see.

Thomas
Sorry I didn't include the latin name. As you found, its zebrasoma flavescens. Also, thanks for suggesting a site where you've at least seen a few.
Jeff

I can't figure out how to insert a photo in the text of this message so Ive added yellow tang as my "user photo". Maybe it will show up? Just in case it doesn't, Ill give a quick description. They are a deep bodied surgeon fish. Adults are a max of 20cm and they are completely yellow (thus the name).
I would appreciate any help ya'll can offer in tracking down locations and getting some idea of abundance.
Thanks!
jeff

I know I've seen them here but not in abundance on the main island of Okinawa. I just scanned through all of my pictures (not too hard since I only bought my camera last April...) and can only see 2 pictures of them, both from the same dive in May. The site is a reef system about 2 km off the main island which would of course greatly limit the number of fish-poaching visitors...

PM me and I'll send you the pics to see if they are the exact same species. One pic has 2 of them in close proximity and the other has 5 or 6 playing among staghorn coral.

I'll also take a closer look for them in upcoming dives...

Found a few out in the Keramas today, all were singles on the reef.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom