Redefining how to you film with your mono pole.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Z Gear

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
There are a lot of those who think filming with a mono pole is only good for taking selfies. They think that it is to unstable and that's where I want to emphasize another approach.

I do make a product that can help in this area but I actually want to focus on the method of filming on this thread. I believe its important because the approach so far has been to just hold the mono pole from the end and try to film as steady as possible using only "ONE HAND".

I have found that by having some type of handle (in my case,it happens to be a light mount that has approx 3" handle area for holding) on your mono pole, could significantly add stability. I stumbled across this aspect as I was compensating for the weight of the light mount on the mono pole. I naturally put my hand on the mount and I found that when I did so I was able to steady my shot.

I would think this could be an easy DYI for those who do not wish to have a light on their pole but merely want to have more stability when they film. I also found that by placing one hand on the handle and having the mono pole resting in the shoulder pocket area, seemed to also be a good way to get good stability. The weight and stability of our torso provides an excellent anchoring point to which one can use to their advantage. I want to post these pictures of some using this type method and also a video of our mount
but in this particular case lets try to focus on method filming, for the goal of achieving the most stability out of a mono pole.

IMG-1178a.JPG

IMG_1175a.JPG

[video=youtube;IFzR0eAx0Y0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFzR0eAx0Y0[/video]

Still time to get me one for my trip to Truk!

:)

I'm testing three different trays, two monopoles, two "handle" type poles, several light configurations, and at least one other light/camera mount over the course of ten days and 30+ wreck dives. Happy to put the Z-Gear mount into rotation.

BTW - I actually saw one of your monopole light mounts in a shop today. Looked pretty good; the manager spoke highly of it and will be taking it to Bonaire on Saturday. Question: why did you opt to go with screw-lock spherical connectors instead of the ubiquitous Loc-Line type?

Still time to get me one for my trip to Truk!

:)

I'm testing three different trays, two monopoles, two "handle" type poles, several light configurations, and at least one other light/camera mount over the course of ten days and 30+ wreck dives. Happy to put the Z-Gear mount into rotation.

BTW - I actually saw one of your monopole light mounts in a shop today. Looked pretty good; the manager spoke highly of it and will be taking it to Bonaire on Saturday. Question: why did you opt to go with screw-lock spherical connectors instead of the ubiquitous Loc-Line type?

Hi RJP, Yeah did go with the Lock line The screw clamps come with the lock line these secure the lock line from expanding and poping apart.

Are you interested testing out the professional light mount which holds the Sola, Big Blue, or I torch. Or the mono pole light mount which is for smaller video lights. Pm me your info.

Got a pair of Sola 1200's as well as a pair of smaller lights. I'm leaving Sunday, which may make getting anything to me by then challenging. Do you ship to Seoul, Guam, or Truck? :D

PM sent.

Got a pair of Sola 1200's as well as a pair of smaller lights. I'm leaving Sunday, which may make getting anything to me by then challenging. Do you ship to Seoul, Guam, or Truck? :D

PM sent.

Sorry looks like its not going to happen this time. Not enough time.

Back
Top Bottom