Red spots

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikemill

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
While editing my pictures I've noticed some red squares a few pixels in each direction. They don't fit the color so I can't see why it'd be red there. I'm using a DX-1G and editing RAW images and was wondering if any of you had ideas of what might be causing it.

Can you post up some examples? Does it show up in the same spot on every shot? From your description, it could be a dead/stuck pixel on the sensor that gets interpolated into a square or cross by the bayer conversion, but a sample image would help with the diagnosis.

Ok took a look and I am finding two spots. Both are in the same spot in every image. The upper right one is more intense than the other one. The lower left one does get bleed out once in awhile. It looks like one pixel that is affecting the adjacent 8.

red pixel 1.png
red pixel 2.png

Looks like you have a couple of hot pixels. There is mapping software that will remove these. The only way to truly fix the problem is to replace the sensor. You can photoshop them out, or buy software to remove them.

Dead/Hot pixels used to be a big topic of discussion. I've not seen much in the past few years on the subject, but apparently this continues to happen. I think many manufactures have just implemented pixel mapping software, but I don't know that for sure. Maybe sensor manufacturing has just improved.

I don't own a DX-1G, so I can not advise as to if there is a built in pixel mapping in your camera. You can look at the manual, or contact Sea-n-Sean to determine if your camera does have pixel mapping capabilities. If not, you can still remove the spots with any number of post processing solutions.

Back
Top Bottom