Red Sea Sharks....in July?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hintermann

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am doing 2 back-to-back liveaboard trips in the Red Sea in July 2016; that will be my last dive trip before retiring from the sport. The first trip is "The North and Gulf of Tiran" and this is followed immediately by the second cruise "Simply the Best" that includes Elphinstone, Big Brother, Little Brother and Daedalus.

My question is, what are the chances of spotting Hammerhead Sharks and Whale Sharks in those areas in July? Although I have been to the Red Sea 3 times before, this will be the first time in July.

Just returned from 2 back to back liveaboards in the Red Sea with Blue O Two. The itenerary for one trip was called Project Shark and spent 3 days at the Brothers Islands looking for hammerheads. We had several sightings of them, with 1 sighting being up close and personal. The majority of the dives were spent diving in the blue,looking for them and it can get tedious.

Depends where in the Red Sea... due to water temps in July a lot of the shark action tends to go deeper in the Southern parts so usually earlier in the year will get you more shark action - but chances are you will still get some sightings. Another factor is the location, in the areas that can be frequented by day boats and have a heavier tourist imprint, you will see less marine life. Daedalus, the Brothers, and Elphinstone usually have some action.

I am doing 2 back-to-back liveaboard trips in the Red Sea in July 2016; that will be my last dive trip before retiring from the sport. The first trip is "The North and Gulf of Tiran" and this is followed immediately by the second cruise "Simply the Best" that includes Elphinstone, Big Brother, Little Brother and Daedalus.

My question is, what are the chances of spotting Hammerhead Sharks and Whale Sharks in those areas in July? Although I have been to the Red Sea 3 times before, this will be the first time in July.

Why would you retire from diving?

We have done two , one at that time of year and another in late October. On both we have had fabulous sightings of hammerheads....first time three swam around us and last year there were twenty at Daedalus , but this was in late October. On that trip we also had many oceanic white tops , three manta rays and threshers.

Look on Blue O 2 s facebook page for the latest sightings.

Why would you retire from diving?
For personal reasons. I have mentioned it a few times in these forums.

I have also booked those back to back liveaboards with Blue-O-Two. In fact, it is now a 2 week trip on MV Red Sea Explorer. When I made the original booking, it was with MV Blue Melody in the first week to The North & Gulf of Tiran itinerary followed by the MV Red Sea Adventurer for Simply The best trip. But Blue-O-Two informed me last week that they will be taking Blue Melody out of service that month and so we will be doing the same 2 itineraries as above on the same boat off Hurghada.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom