Red Filters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mooseman1007

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am looking to add a red filter to my Fuji F100 and Panasonic TZ10, both with screw thread adapters, but wondered if anyone had any experience with the different filters available. Disregarding the difference in mounting and removal which the URPRO etc will allow over the Magic Filter, which of the filters gives the best results in the final picture. Both cameras have manual white balance
I have the option of

Magic Filter ~£25
Auto Magic Filter ~£20
URPRO CY Filter (M67) ~£80
URPRO SWCY Filter (M67) ~£20
Fantasea Redeye filter (M67) ~£60
Kood Blue Water filter (M67) ~£30
any ive missed?

Anyone got experience of these filters. We are going to be diving in Bali in 2 months then Egypt early in the New Year so bright clear water.
Thanks
Mooseman1007

I have used the magic filters before I added a strobe. They work very well and never had a problem getting some good photos if you understand there working range. I think you would be happy with them.

I am leaning towards the Magic filter (not the auto) so I have a bit more depth to play with, plus you are supposedly able to use it with flash (not ideal but better than opening the housing to remove the filter at 18m!!)

I've never used red filters UW, but used to extensively with B&W film topside. I loved the results, but never appreciated the loss of 2.5 f-stops. Not to say the Magic Filter will cost you that much light, but some loss is inevitable. You get the picture. Oops, bad pun ...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom