Red Filters and White Balance Article

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks, Mike!

tankboygreg:
Can you achieve the same thing in Photoshop using the channel mixer?

Yes and no, you can do some corrections that will bring the red out.
But it will be very difficult, I think you'll need to be really skilled to replicate that sort of result in photoshop.

Manual white balance is the way to go....

Jamdiver:
Yes and no, you can do some corrections that will bring the red out.
But it will be very difficult, I think you'll need to be really skilled to replicate that sort of result in photoshop.

Manual white balance is the way to go....

I should have asked: If you manually adjust your white balance can you then use the channel mixer to replicate the use of a red filter?

tankboygreg:
I should have asked: If you manually adjust your white balance can you then use the channel mixer to replicate the use of a red filter?

Honestly I don't know.....
My gut is telling me that yes it is perhaps possible, but really i'm not sure.

But i'm sure one of our photoshop gurus will let us now :wink:.

Dennis you're a bad bad man....... ooh and I hear rumours that Canon is releasing a new entry level DSLR this month............ think 370D

Diver Dennis:
So Mike. What WB setting do you use on your new Nikon?
New Nikon?!?! pffttt..........

Greg, yes and no....

By using manual WB and using a filter you are really pushing the colour spectrum to remove blue and green, therefore the red helps in doing so.

By not having the filter in there you really push the spectrum a lot and some would say to its limits.. therefore you really get a lot of digital noise in the red spectrum of your photo.

If you were to take two cameras side by side, one with filter, one without and go down and shoot the same picture, you will get a much "noisier" photo from the non filtered camera, and therefore not necesarily usable....

So yes, you could probably emulate using the channel mixer BUT... your image will not look very good....

Back
Top Bottom