red filter vs underwater mode

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

funscuba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have the S95 in a Patima housing that I will use for the first time in march, and need to know if the S95's "underwater mode" is as good as a red filter or do I really need to get a red filter that gives better results ? I do have the Ínon flash but for long distance pix I'll use the red filter / underwater mode.
Need to know asap thanks in case I'd buy one before leaving.

Thanks for the advice !

The red filter is probably better than the underwater mode, especially at shallower depths.

Neither the "underwater" setting or "custom" (calibrated) white balance setting or a red filter can compare to shooting non-strobe shots in RAW mode, especially at deeper depths.

There is no need to use filters on a camera with RAW mode.

if you only take stills and are happy to white balance every shot in postprocessing then RAW is an option
but surely you will want to shoot at video at some point and then you do need a filter

Hello Funscuba

Custom white balance or shooting in RAW will give better results than UW mode. Using a red filter and shooting in RAW will give the best results. Good luck! - Scott

You need to note there is a significant difference between underwater "mode" and underwater white balance as they are two entirely different concepts in the camera. Underwater white balance (accessed through the WB menu) is for someone who doesn't want to do a lot of manual balances underwater or do significant editing in post (even though it is available if desired). Underwater "mode" (accessed through the SCN menu) however takes away control of your camera. While I can't speak directly to the affects on the S95, on the S90 it eliminates RAW, Av, and Tv control and essentially limits you to zoom and exposure compensation. Underwater mode is only slightly better than leaving your camera at home, and that is assuming you are only using it as filler on your weight belt.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom