Red filter for snorkeling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi, though I've never used a red filter, the consensus is that a red filter is usually not needed for any thing less than that depth. There are red filter made specifically for those shallow depths such as the UPRO CY filter Shop SRP Filters but that is intended for 12ft - 50ft.

I don't think you'll gain much by using one so shallow.

Hi Bellipotens,
I swear by a red filter for scuba, and I use the Backscatter Flip in particular and can vouch for its quality, but I'd advise against it for snorkeling. About 15 ft. down is when you would start to need the filter, use it any shallower and your footage will be unnaturally red (like, shark attack red). The good thing about the Flip is that you could flip it on and off very easily and theoretically only use it when you get to 15 ft., but that would probably be more trouble than it's worth.

If you're interested, here's a link to some recent test footage I shot using that Flip 3:

Diving Grand Turk - GoPro Hero3 Black, Backscatter Flip3 Filter & Quik Pod Explorer II Monopod - YouTube

best,

Justin

I just shot a video a few weeks ago snorkeling.... I did not use the red filter. There are 2 clips where I am diving, looking up at the snorkelers, and in that I am using the red filter... I was at around 10' depth. I had to tone down the red a bit in editing those... it was just too warm.

[vimeo]69982741[/vimeo]

robin

I just shot a video a few weeks ago snorkeling.... I did not use the red filter. There are 2 clips where I am diving, looking up at the snorkelers, and in that I am using the red filter... I was at around 10' depth. I had to tone down the red a bit in editing those... it was just too warm.

[vimeo]69982741[/vimeo]

robin
Nice video, music kinda reminded me of a wedding videos from back in the 80's, I like it.

No filter needed for the shallows. Good color. Did you shoot with WB auto or raw? Protune?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom