recs for gopro vid light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divin'dog

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have a simple GoPro Hero with a stick and like taking simple vids but am thinking about getting a light for night dives and shooting into some spaces where the lighting may not be the best i.e. crevices, overhangs, etc. I was using my handheld light but that is a pain... I was looking at the Halo but just found this: Halo warning Also looking at the Knog Action Video Light...

Anyone use either of these lights? Or have their own recommendations? I don't need super uber lights but would like a simple nice quality light to mount on my GoPro or stick.

The Knog doesn't appear to be designed for divers. For example it does not have a strong light which is needed for underwater filming. There was nothing to indicate how much of an angle the light will radiate. Wide angle is much nicer for video It appears it will work well for terrestrial video shooting. I have no experience with the Halo.

You'll find a tray, rather than a pole or stick, is a much stabler platform for shooting video. I've been using two AL1800XWP from Big Blues Lights. The light is wide angle which is nice to avoid dark shadows. Another light that Big Blue has that will work well is the AL2600XWP. The later will have better penetration for distance. Good lights are well worth investing in.

Please take a look at our modular tray and light system. It works quite well and the "MAKO Direct" pricing may surprise you.

Two Handle Camera Tray | MAKO Spearguns

Thanks!
Dano

There are many options for lights but having bought a1000 lumens LED light for a dive trip in the Philippines last March I quickly realized this would not be sufficient for the gopro. I use it now for a good flashlight...

If you add lights I suggest you have a total of at least 2000 lumens minimum. I managed to buy a Sola 3500 at the end of 2017 and I used that on a trip in March and all I could say was wow at 3500 lumens. More lumens the more expensive so shop carefully but again I would not use a light or a 2 light setup that did not deliver at least 2000 lumens (total)

I agree a 2000LM plus video light makes a big difference. I also have a Big Blue Black Molly 3 (2600 Lumens) and really like it. Its just an expensive light but, well worth it.

https://www.amazon.com/Bigblue-AL2600XWP-Lumens-Extra-Light/dp/B0763CZ4SR

View attachment 453307

I wanted to add to my existing Sola light and looked hard at Big Blue lights (goo lights) but I only went with Sola to make traveling a bit easier and having similar lights for battery life.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom