Recreational Scooter for winter diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chris stead

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all, new to the board.
I primarily do shallow Blackwater diving(10-20’), and was wondering if there are any of the recreational style scooters that will pull someone who is fairly weighed down?
Cold weather gear for me is :
7mm suit, 20-25lb belt, single Al80 and a couple canister lights
The scooter would only be used intermittently, we primarily sit on the bottom clear a spot then move a few feet and repeat......... but I would like an easier way to cover ground, surface and move to the next area.
Don’t really feel that a tech style DPV would be needed if a recreational style Scooter would do the trick

thanks for any help!

I’m picturing a need for you to think outside the box. If your plan is to mostly sit on the bottom looking around, but with short hops, get a couple of thrusters and mount them on a lawn chair, put your tank underneath on a long hose, and chill properly.

And since you’re carrying two can lights, you can mount them on the seat frame oriented forward.

The lawn chair is the preferred DIR technique although you may consider a futon if your dive party numbers warrant it.

Hello all, new to the board.
I primarily do shallow Blackwater diving(10-20’), and was wondering if there are any of the recreational style scooters that will pull someone who is fairly weighed down?
Cold weather gear for me is :
7mm suit, 20-25lb belt, single Al80 and a couple canister lights
The scooter would only be used intermittently, we primarily sit on the bottom clear a spot then move a few feet and repeat......... but I would like an easier way to cover ground, surface and move to the next area.
Don’t really feel that a tech style DPV would be needed if a recreational style Scooter would do the trick

thanks for any help!
why down you need a scooter to drop 15ft? that's like 3seconds on the trigger to basically crash into the bottom since you cant see it anyway
of course they will pull you down, you are capable of descending without a scooter right? (ie have enough lead)

I thought Apollo AV-1's were prominently used by teeth divers?

why down you need a scooter to drop 15ft? that's like 3seconds on the trigger to basically crash into the bottom since you cant see it anyway
of course they will pull you down, you are capable of descending without a scooter right? (ie have enough lead)

I don’t need it for descending, I guess ascending in an emergency could be helpful, but not my main concern

Multiple reasons for having one.....really strong current and using the scooter for blasting sand out of areas, another problem is multiple trees through most areas so you can’t just “crash” down into spots here, we plant a small Jon boat on a bank and crawl in or when a boat is not feasible put a ladder down the side of a bank, and in strong current it helps to have propulsion back to the ladder.

I thought Apollo AV-1's were prominently used by teeth divers?
I’ve looked at those, very heavy and cumbersome to lug in the water from a ladder on a steep bank.

just wondering if there was a Seadoo or Yamaha style scooter that has good propulsion comparable to one of those.
I don’t need a crazy depth rating, just good propulsion
My dive buddy has a Blacktip that does great, weight is not horrible ......... I just don’t have the $$$$ for one

Not sure about the Seadoo or Yamaha, haven't used one, Diver's Supply sells a Yamaha for $295 that's rated only to 15 feet. Not sure if I would trust it. The AV-1s are heavy in the water and really heavy out of the water. I dig for teeth with a BlackTip, it's super light and easy to manage in water, and the lowest speed from the factory is more than enough for blowing sand, it's almost too much. The speeds are easily customized by just plugging in a USB cable/laptop so I am considering dropping the lowest speed a tad....

Not sure about the Seadoo or Yamaha, haven't used one, Diver's Supply sells a Yamaha for $295 that's rated only to 15 feet. Not sure if I would trust it. The AV-1s are heavy in the water and really heavy out of the water. I dig for teeth with a BlackTip, it's super light and easy to manage in water, and the lowest speed from the factory is more than enough for blowing sand, it's almost too much. The speeds are easily customized by just plugging in a USB cable/laptop so I am considering dropping the lowest speed a tad....

that’s what my dive partner uses is a blacktip, but I don’t have the funds to drop on one.
Guessing a LIon battery be used in an AV1 to cut a significant amount of weight? Not sure if that would make a difference or if the motor is heavy also.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom