Recreational Rebreather!?!?!?!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can't really see what benefit a rebreather would have to the typical recreational diver. They're expensive to buy and the training is expensive. For technical diving, I totally get it. Optimizing deco times and they're much cheaper to run than open-circuit trimix.....

Curiosity is one thing but unless the prices have fallen drastically since I looked into it, a person could make a lot of dive trips for the amount of money it would take to get started.

Thoughts?

R..

A KISS GEM can be bought for mid $3000s. Training is less than $1000. Total cost less than $4500. Yes, that's more than some trips but not all that bad.

The advantage of a rebreather for recreational divers is the lack of or minimized bubbles. It really does make a difference when on a reef. I had all but written off reef diving until I did my last reef dive on a rebreather and none of the life swam away from me. They actually came over to check me out! Now I can't wait to do my next reef diving vacation so I can dive my rebreather the entire time.

---------- Post added November 22nd, 2013 at 10:36 PM ----------

I am the OP, and no I don't work for my LDS. The owner has been talking about getting into these rebreathers, (selling, training and servicing) for a while now. And I was very interested in getting involved. But I don't know everything there is to know about RB's, or the differences between systems. But I do know enuf to know that the Explorer isn't what I expected in a RB. I just want to know what is supposed to be so great about it? If there are better, safer and more tried and true systems out there, in the same price range. Why is he pushing this one? What would be a better unit that I could start with and grow with? One that isn't so limiting, yet rec friendly.

The KISS GEM is a great unit to start out with. Relatively inexpensive and also modular. There are prototypes right now of the GEM as a full CCR unit. KISS plans on offering the full CCR conversions in the future. So you can have a unit that can eventually be a CCR and can always be converted back and forth between both, depending on what your needs are. Sometimes it's just easier to dive an SCR because you can't get 100% O2 at your destination.

adamp69 and whoever else is considering getting in to rebreathers, here is my 2 PSI. A rebreather is a tool, just like any other piece of scuba equipment. Understanding the tool, what it does and why you'd need it are key in determining if it's something you want to pursue as well as which one to get. I'd read as much as you can about them (books, forums, etc), do comparisons like those offered at addhelium.com as tstormdiver suggested. If you can attend try days or call and talk to instructors who represent MORE THAN ONE BRAND. There are differences between all of them and each has their compromises, yes, even if you spend $15k. Matching the compromises with why you want one and what you'll be doing with it is the key to all of this.

From what I know if the Hollis Explorer (which is admittedly not much because I dismissed it immediately for MY needs) is that it's built to a price point in order to broaden the market. If you're serious about wanting to go rebreather you'll quickly outgrow its limitations and move up the food chain to a fully closed circuit unit.

My instructor can teach 5+ different units, dives more than that and has been doing so for over 20 years. I did two try days (3 years apart) and have a local community of divers that I was able to pick their brains to determine what they liked and didn't, what they wished their units did and the pros / cons of different units. This was invaluable in helping me decide to jump to CCR and in choosing the unit I did.

Based on my current and future dive needs, features I valued, travelability and fit I chose a Titan. I've got over 50 hours on it now in tropical, Great Lakes, wreck, reef, cenote diving and love it. Rebreather diving made me fall in love with diving all over again. It's not for everyone but it can be a great tool if it meets your needs.

Good luck!

Brian.

For those keeping count, we have three confirmed owners. Two machines were returned/refunded, one is for sale within 90-days of purchase.

For those keeping count, we have three confirmed owners. Two machines were returned/refunded, one is for sale within 90-days of purchase.

I know you are trying to make the machine look bad, but my machine was sold because I could not get comfortable with it being so hands off. I own a prism 2 and am use to a lot more control and have been trained in such a way that blindingly trusting electronics just isn't going to happen.

My unit worked as advertised. I read my log book and found a entry for the explorer that show 2x dives at 75ft with total runtime of 85 minutes in Jupiter. There was no Scrubber life warning (I note those) so I had at least 30% scrubber life remaining after those dives. The gas used was 40/15 and water temp was 79F

Daru

Diver Magazine had an interesting set of articles on RBs including the Explorer, in it last issue. I really don't know anything about rebreathers and found the articles a good introduction.

Add far as I remember on the manual, 90 minutes is the scrubber life quoted. I know I was never told that it was two hours during training.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

OMG have you seen the cost of the EACs? The prepacked scrubbers and the single use sorb in a can is like $40 a shot!

Is that $40 a dive? For 90 minutes that just seems like a lot...

However it's totally worth it for the bubble less experience. I can't wait to dive my rebreather tomorrow!

There is no EAC for the unit. All retail units are user packed. EAC may not even see the light of day according to what I have been told

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom