Recovered mask cleaning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wheeze

New
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
So there I was, free diving in a pond when I found something covered with muck that got my attention. It turns out it was a U.S. Divers Technisub mask (a tri-vision model called the Corsica) and an Impulse snorkel. It appeared like it hadn't been marooned in the water for all that long, but it still had a lot of algae growth. The mask is in pretty good shape, and is a clear silicon unit so I have a question: what's the best way to really clean this sucker up? It might make a decent backup mask. I have used soap and water so far, but I'm wondering if there isn't a better way to really get the pond off of this unit.

bleach solution - break the mask down to individual parts and let them soak in javax & water for a couple hours.

our masks get this treatment about every 5 years. this takes most of the oxidation off the skirt.

bleach solution - break the mask down to individual parts and let them soak in javax & water for a couple hours.

our masks get this treatment about every 5 years. this takes most of the oxidation off the skirt.

I thought bleach might be the way to go. I'll give it a try, and thanks!

Back
Top Bottom