Recommended weight system for travel BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jake

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all-

I currently dive an Apeks S/S back plate and wing with their "integrated" weight pockets attached to the plate. When I travel I swap out the wing to a Deep 6 travel wing and just bring the rig with me. However, I'd like to get a second aluminum setup that I just leave configured for travel.

I'm curious what folks are liking for weight systems on their travel rigs. I usually dive a 3mm full suit when I travel and am a bit north of 200 pounds, so total weight needed (including plate) is 10-12 pounds.

I'm guessing with an aluminum plate I may want to add trim pockets to the tank strap, so that takes care of 4-6 pounds.

Are folks liking weight belts these days, or should I just add some simple weight pockets to the harness?

And, one last question: how do you keep the weight pockets from sliding forward if added to the waist?

Thanks!

I just use a couple of trim pockets on the waist, and those plastic weight belt clips that almost look like hair barrettes and have teeth inside are great because they slide onto the webbing and snap closed so easy to move as not threaded.

I just use a couple of trim pockets on the waist, and those plastic weight belt clips that almost look like hair barrettes and have teeth inside are great because they slide onto the webbing and snap closed so easy to move as not threaded.

Great. Thank you for the response!

I travel with a pocket weight belt. A standard belt is a PITA to thread the weights on. I have several harnesses, but travel implies going as light as possible and they really only become important for me when diving dry with lots of lead. The pocketed weight belt can be loaded with bags or standard size hard weights. It is also easy to label with your name. They tend to be comfortable even with only a dive skin. I buy cheap ones, they are built fairly light, but replace the typical plastic buckle with a s/s one because I am paranoid.

Blue Reef 55" Rubber Weight Belt with Marseillaise SS Buckle

SKU: BLRRWB MFR: WB-05A
3 review
ASK a Question
Your Price
$24.95 You save: $29.00 (54%)
Regular: $53.95
BLRRWB.jpg

I just came back from traveling, was using about the same amount of weight on the trip. I used trim pockets on both cam bands and that worked perfect. Wouldn't be hard to take the trim pockets off a cam band and thread them onto the waist strap if you'd prefer some of the weight a little lower.

There are a lot of options, all using the usual 1-2kg weights that normally go on weight belts and are universally available

1. Put trim weight pockets on tank cam bands
2. Slide weights onto BPW belt strap, ie thread harness webbing through weight
3. Fasten weights to backplate holes with zip ties
4. Tie a short bungee loop through weights and then loop this around webbing. Kind of hard to explain but it goes around the webbing and around the weight, easy to attach and ditchable
5. Use a convential weight belt
6. Put pockets on harness webbing

For me, it depends on how much weight we are talking. I generally dislike weight belts, and I try to avoid putting more than 1-1.5kg on the harness webbing. Like the weight belt its somewhat unformfortable and just a little harder to trim out well. Can be controlled with good technique, but not my preference. So usually I do either #1 or #3.

If you want weight on your waist, I’d think #4 is best (vs weight belt, threading on webbing or pockets on webbing)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom