Recommended Upgrade coming from a Canon s110 setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

edstorm

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Been on a Canon S110 + GoPro5 setup for the past few years and curious whether there is a better setup with a 1.5kUSD budget.

I presently have a Underwater Kinetics Aqualite Pro Duo Lighting Kit setup with the S110 and GoPro5. It has served me well but Ive been looking for perhaps a camera that could provide the same portability and much better images as well as video.

Is there a strobe + underwater casing + camera setup that could be easily purchased for 1.5k?

Thanks.

How about this:
Canon G7X MkII $650 at BHPhoto incl 32GB card
Fantasea housing: $399 at any of the big UW photo stores
Inon S-2000 : $365

You'd need a few $$ more for fibre optic cable, tray/arm, but it's a nice package for pretty close to your budget

That’s pretty close to rx100v territory. Would it be better to go that route for the expandability and support?

Some sample pictures I’ve seen are super clear.

Would the Inon s-2000 setup work well for multiple years? Or should I grab a used set somewhere.

How would the RX100 have more expandability/support? I suggested the Canon based on the budget figure. I don't think there is much to pick between any of the 1" sensor cameras as far as image quality goes, all will produce great pics within their limitations. If you want to compare the pros and cons have a look at the backscatter article:

Backscatter Underwater Photography & Video

It suggests the Panasonic LX10 as the best all round compact. What you pick will depend on what you want to shoot. TheLX10 and G7X for example white balance better for video, though the Canon has a more convoluted procedure. TheRX100 does not have sufficient white balance range to white balance properly underwater. The LX-10 would certainly be a good choice as well and you have 2/3 or the price of a flash in change compared to the price for an RX100.

The Canon does better at macro and the Panasonic is better with wide angle without the need to change ports to get maximum benefit. Only the Canon has manual flash.

The S-2000 should be fine so long as you are not planning on going to a DSLR in the future, it's very small and compact. With the smaller sensor cameras you don't need to stop down as much to get DOF compared to a DSLR so it is less demanding on the flash power. Of all the underwater equipment flashes are easiest to sell if you upgrade in the future. the price of the S-2000 means you can get 2 flashes for around the price of a single larger flash and if you are on a budget I'd certainly lean in that direction. The other thing to consider is balance, the Z-240/330 is near as big as the housing, the two small S-2000s will be easier to mount and balance better.

Back
Top Bottom