Recommendations wanted for Phillipines trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rsqdvr

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I know this has been asked many times before and I have read all of the threads posted in the last year. Even with that, I still had a couple of specific questions that I hoped someone who is familiar with the area could shed some light on. I am an experienced traveler and diver but this is my first trip to the Phillipines. My wife doesn’t dive so this is a solo trip. Everything will be land-based because of that, I don’t want to pay the crazy liveaboard single surcharges.
I am planning a trip to the Phillipines in Late April/Early May 2025. I plan on spending about 5 days in PG at Scandi Divers Resort but wanted to add an additional spot for another 4-5 days.

I really enjoy wrecks but I also wanted to dive in the stereotypical crystal blue waters that parts of the Phillipines is known for. Coron seems like the place to be for wrecks. Is there amazing vis there? Would a trip to Balabac be doable or is that too much for a 10-12 day trip?

Thanks for any advice.

@rsqdvr
There are at least 4-5 very interesting wrecks in Coron, Three of them are deeper than 35m so diving time is very limited. With such a tight schedule, I really do not see any reason to visit Coron. BTW, if you insist to go to Coron then go there in the beginning of the trip not at the end. You do not want to be stranded in that place and miss the flight home.
As for a trip to Balabac? You better find out how to get there first. Time is one thing you certainly does not has in your proposed trip.

PG + Anilao would be a much easier option.

I really enjoy wrecks but I also wanted to dive in the stereotypical crystal blue waters that parts of the Phillipines is known for. Coron seems like the place to be for wrecks. Is there amazing vis there?
Coron is nice for wrecks but definitely not for good vis.
I've visited Coron and enjoyed it enough to stay for a month spread over two trips, the visibility in the bay where most of the wrecks are located was 10 meters or less and 5 meter vis was not uncommon.
The Kyokuzan wreck on the north side is very nice and can have the crystal blue water with 20 meter vis, but if staying in Coron town it requires a special trip due to distance.

Coron is nice for wrecks but definitely not for good vis.
I've visited Coron and enjoyed it enough to stay for a month spread over two trips, the visibility in the bay where most of the wrecks are located was 10 meters or less and 5 meter vis was not uncommon.
The Kyokusan wreck on the north side is very nice and can have the crystal blue water with 20 meter vis, but if staying in Coron town it requires a special trip due to distance.
Where would you recommend for the best vis in the area?

I was in Coron two months ago. We went to Kyokuzan Maru (great viz), Olympia Maru, Morazan Maru and Hayabusa airplane (terrible viz).

The airplane is worth going but it is 40M deep. It is relatively small but not commonly visited because the dive site requires locating and most of the dive operators do not use gps, just merely from skills. Also I went during bad weather so it sort of explains the bad viz.

The vis will improve anywhere outside of Coron Bay, partly due to the fact that visibility there is negatively impacted by the numerous pearl farms in the bay. So in that general area the Kyokuzan on the north side and the occasional dive safari leaving from Coron going to Apo Reef would be options for dives with good/very good visibility. But I would not count on either of those options happening during a short stay, so either accept the bad vis and enjoy the good wreck diving or drop that area off your list.

Considering the travel months of April-May, chances are good for nice visibility in most other locations. Centrals always makes good recommendations, PG+Anilao is sensible for a 9-10 day trip.
Skipping Manila with a SEA-CEB flight could make the Visayas another option to consider. I could be happy with 4-5 days in Malapascua + 3-4 days in Moalboal. If you happen to make it to Malapascua and are looking for excellent vis, try to land a day trip to Kalangaman Island and Nunez Shoal.

For good vis you will probably have luck in PG or Bohol/visayas. Unsure about that timeframe though since the latest I've dove there is Feb and then in July.

I didn't find terrible vis in Coron around New Years except when you're down to wrecjs deeper than 30m. Olympia maru was decent, about 10m vis. Lots of clear water around the reefs I found.

From what I have been told, Subic has a lot of wrecks but worse vis.

The vis will improve anywhere outside of Coron Bay, partly due to the fact that visibility there is negatively impacted by the numerous pearl farms in the bay. So in that general area the Kyokuzan on the north side and the occasional dive safari leaving from Coron going to Apo Reef would be options for dives with good/very good visibility. But I would not count on either of those options happening during a short stay, so either accept the bad vis and enjoy the good wreck diving or drop that area off your list.

Considering the travel months of April-May, chances are good for nice visibility in most other locations. Centrals always makes good recommendations, PG+Anilao is sensible for a 9-10 day trip.
Skipping Manila with a SEA-CEB flight could make the Visayas another option to consider. I could be happy with 4-5 days in Malapascua + 3-4 days in Moalboal. If you happen to make it to Malapascua and are looking for excellent vis, try to land a day trip to Kalangaman Island and Nunez Shoal.
Any dive shop recommendations for Malappascua?

Any dive shop recommendations for Malappascua?
I lived on Malapascua for a while and used the locally owned shops, budget options that suited me well but maybe not what I would recommend for someone just visiting for a week.
Evolution would be my recommendation for a quality shop with good reputation.
From what I have been told, Subic has a lot of wrecks but worse vis.
During a week long stay in Subic, the vis was on average a bit better than Coron but it did vary considerably.
Both places good for wreck diving but I think Coron has a better topside atmosphere for a diving vacation.

I lived on Malapascua for a while and used the locally owned shops, budget options that suited me well but maybe not what I would recommend for someone just visiting for a week.
Evolution would be my recommendation for a quality shop with good reputation.

During a week long stay in Subic, the vis was on average a bit better than Coron but it did vary considerably.
Both places good for wreck diving but I think Coron has a better topside atmosphere for a diving vacation.
It’s crazy that people here say vis at Coron isn’t good. I follow a couple of people on IG that post pics at the shore and the water looks incredible! I get that things are different at depth but I’m glad I asked because I would have assumed it is great.
I’m currently looking at the logistics of flying in to Cebu, going to Malapascua for 4-5 days then going to PG for 4 days before heading home.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom