recommendations: OW in Edmonton

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crush

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all,

A friend is interested in basic OW in Edmonton. Certification should be completed no later than end of May 2011. Can anyone recommend a good dive shop in Edmonton with good training at this level? Advice?

Thanks.

I did my certification a few years ago with Sub Sea Experience, I think they did a pretty good job. Shop is run by Jack Mardro. He can be a little rough around the edges, but he knows his stuff and does a good job of turning out safe divers. I certainly wouldn't hesitate recommending them, after all I ran my wife through his course after I got certified.

Although I have used them only for refreshers and equipment purchases, I would suggest you also check out Northwest Scuba (6815 - 104 Street). The instructors we've dealt with were very professional and easy to get along with. I personnally plan on using them this spring to further my scubafication.

If you want Padi=Northwest Scuba, they're good people.
If you want tdi/sdi=The Dive Outfitters. Good gear supplies in shop, good dive club.

A friend is interested in basic OW in Edmonton. Certification should be completed no later than end of May 2011. Can anyone recommend a good dive shop in Edmonton with good training at this level? Advice?

What's the deadline about? I always recommend that whatever dive shop you do your paperwork with, get a referral and do the actual OW dives somewhere nice. Doing your certification dives in freezing water just isn't worth it unless you generally plan to dive lakes once certified.

Osric

What's the deadline about? I always recommend that whatever dive shop you do your paperwork with, get a referral and do the actual OW dives somewhere nice.

How many reasons do you want beyond the fact that course costs are usually half the price to do the whole thing in Alberta as opposed to splitting it up?

Doing your certification dives in freezing water just isn't worth it unless you generally plan to dive lakes once certified.

And you are basing this on how many dives in "freezing" water??

What's the deadline about? I always recommend that whatever dive shop you do your paperwork with, get a referral and do the actual OW dives somewhere nice. Doing your certification dives in freezing water just isn't worth it unless you generally plan to dive lakes once certified.

Osric

Dear all - thanks for the responses.

The friend that I mentioned in the OP travels with work and will likely dive more frequently, if not exclusively, at warm water destinations. The next trip to a very nice warm-water destination happens in a few months, and the friend sees value in being certified before arriving at the destination.

How many reasons do you want beyond the fact that course costs are usually half the price to do the whole thing in Alberta as opposed to splitting it up?

I didn't think about the costs; of course there are a lot of factors which is why I asked about the deadline and type of diving. Being a warm-water vacation diver myself, and having very much enjoyed the approach I took to getting certified, I recommended it.

And you are basing this on how many dives in "freezing" water??

All the posts I have read where newcomers to the sport have had trouble involve more challenging situations: cold water, low viz, seasickness, etc. Like any disciplined sport, I think starting with as few variables that could put off or hurt the newbie so that they can focus on basics like air sharing, mask skills, etc will maximize success.

I think there's value to being certified in the environment you plan to dive in, and building your experience there. The OP's friend doesn't want that, whether because of cost or to maximise his freedom at the destination, or whatever reason: but it made sense to me.

Osric

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom