Recommendations on camera/housing, PLEASE!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DYOUNGER

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I have just flooded my second Fantasea housing in less than a year; two different models, two cameras . Of course this means I have lost two perfectly good Nikon digital cameras. The toughest part though is the fact that I once the camera was flooded, I could not photograph the rest of my vacation. What a bummer, to come back from vacation, people ask to see the pictures and all you have to show are the few pictures taken before the great flood.

I WANT A GOOD HOUSING THAT I CAN TRUST TO SURVIVE THE ENTIRE TRIP and hopefully last through several trips. I no longer want to worry that everytime I dive it my be my last oportunity to take a photo. How disheartening it was this last time for the dive master work to locate me the perfect photo op and then try to explain to him u/w why I am not taking the photo. Just dragging along a piece of junk.

My budget is $1000 for another camera and housing. It would be nice to have a stobe included in my budget if possible.

Would you please give me some reccomendations and suggestions on any system that you are using, are pleased with and has a long history of NO failures?

Although I am not using it, I would go with the Fuji F810 in an Ikelite housing. That should be in the $800 - $900 range. When funds allow, add an Inon D2000 of Z220F strobe. The whole kit will be aroung $1,500 but well worth it. Go to Digital Diver and do a search on the 810.

Another option would be a Canon A series with a Canon housing like Alcina uses.

If I were buying a digicam, it would be the Fuji. i would get my housing and strobe from Ryan

HTH,
Dave

Yah above,
The main focus is on the housing..
I wouldn't rely on the "Maker Housings" at this stage of your experience, so would go with the Ikelite and then Pick the camera..
You should be able to get a good 4-5-7 camera and housing for just about $1000.

Strobes will put you over, but it's a Safe Start.

I'm just not really happy with the "maker housings" PT015 etc... although a lot of people like them and are happy with them, but it sounds like you'd be pushing your luck in getting one..

Lost photos??? heheh, yup been there, done that, a full Trip to Fiji lost...
Just means I have to go back some day...
It happens to everyone in some degree or another... believe there's another thread around here on "Dumb things Photogs do..."... and it's very helpful, if not comforting...

good luck...

Yup, I'd say head to the Canon A series. I have a couple and I use them for my students/divers to hire now (I usually shoot my Olympus 5050). They are great. I still use my A75 personally on occasion - especially for the big guys while snorkelling.

You should be able to get the camera, housing and Inon strobe (and arm and tray) for about your $1000. The strobe will be the most expensive piece. I have the Inon 220s and I would recommend this one - great manual controls and manual is pretty easy once you practice :wink:

The beauty is multifold: it is a great little camera for topside, the Canon housings have been excellent IME, the system is expandable to macro and wide angle lenses later (check out LukeRob's gallery; I have a few A series in my gallery, but they aren't easy to find), the strobe you buy now (if you go with my recommendation I mean) will move with you should you change systems and I've found that even total beginners can bring back some nice shots.

It is also a good system without an external strobe (see LegoPacific's and PhotoTJ's galleries).

The Fuji 810 is a lovely system (see Ryan at www.reefphotovideo.com as I think he has them in stock along with housings). There are two housing choices - the Fuji one and the Ikelite one. Many prefer the Ike, but I've seen excellent results from the Fuji, too. If you are going to shoot a lot underwater, I'd spring for the Ikelite. If it's a couple times a year for a few dives each, I'd go Fuji.

As with any system you must learn to use it and exploit its strengths and find work-arounds to any limitations you find.

One thing for any camera you buy - get the largest memory card you can so you never miss a shot because it's full. The 512 in the A75 is pretty good. But, wait, there's more....

....download or change cards after every dive or every day's diving! Never take yesterday's dives down with you - you are begging to lose it all. JMHO

Good luck and have a great time shopping!

Ikelite housing is a good option, well made and easy to care for. However I would review your technique on cleaning o-rings etc as well. 2 floods in a year is no good. It could be poor design on the housing but it may also be user's error as well.

ssra30:
Ikelite housing is a good option, well made and easy to care for. However I would review your technique on cleaning o-rings etc as well. 2 floods in a year is no good. It could be poor design on the housing but it may also be user's error as well.

Both floods happened after a SI on the boat. Just a simple open and turn the camera on/off. There was not a chance of any grit or trash getiing on the seal. Manual states not to use any lube on gasket. Simply open and shut. Worked fine for first dives during series, kept in water tank during SI, it leaks on next dive. Go figure.

DYOUNGER:
Both floods happened after a SI on the boat. Just a simple open and turn the camera on/off. There was not a chance of any grit or trash getiing on the seal. Manual states not to use any lube on gasket. Simply open and shut. Worked fine for first dives during series, kept in water tank during SI, it leaks on next dive. Go figure.

That may be your issue right there. In a water tank it can bang around quite a bit and break a seal. Better to do a quick soak in the tank, then put someplace else it won't bang around.

You have to open the casing to turn the camera on and off?????? If that is true then I would definitely get a housing with better external controls. FWIW the vast majority of floods DO occur through user error. It's very easy to make a mistake if you are not extremely careful.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom