Recommendations for Underwater Photog. Class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Black(and white fish)net(stockings),

Well, I have got to hear how you use the zone system u/w--hell, I would like to hear what you think it is. And I was not referring to a minor shade of white, but, rather, Minor White--and just out of curiousity, tell me where he taught.

If you do those things in the next three minutes, there will be very good "prize" for you--very good!

Joewr(not to be confused with Elliot Porter, either.)

Hello,

sure white co-founded 'apeture' w/ adams, studied at univ of columbia, director of the california school of fine arts, prof at MIT. This what your looking for?

Also there's a very famous person on the west coast who does underwater zone system and he's very good, can you name him :wink:

Ed

Hello,

As for zone system you can apply the zone system to 35mm positives. (the negative page 95-97)

Ed

Black(and white negative fish)net(stockings),

I am impressed with how fast you can use a search engine and a telephone, but you did not answer my questions. So, as Bruce Willis would say, "BRZZZZZZZZZZZZZ, wrong answer. You lose!)

And, no I cannot name the photographer; educate me! And(Did you know that it is fine, stylistically speaking, to start a sentence with a conjunction if not over-used?)I need to return to business and not continue with the schoolboy repartee.

Joewr (who actually audited the course taught by Minor White at MIT in 1967)

it is "Aperature" and "Columbia University", home of the Columbia Lions.

J-O-E-W-R

Hello,

In the UK (think it's the UK) there's a photographer who does LF.

You did ask where he taught and I answered with MIT, which was correct. But somehow, to you, i'm always wrong so i'm not going to even attempt that one.

BTW isn't this getting abit off topic?

Ed

Hello,

OK and "Columbia University" has what to do with the original question here? ')

Ed

Mr. Ed,

You can use capital letters--well, that is a start!

Alright, enough is enough--the Quakers and my grandmother would be very disappointed in me just about now.

However, the three-minute short answer to my question on the the "Zone System" could have been:

"It is a system for exposing and developing photographic negatives that allows the photographer to control the range of grays between black and white in the positive." (Which you never did answer.)

And, as for Minor White:

MIT (Which you got right--but you might have written, "The Massachussets Institute of Technology".)

The Zone System is a simple concept that is very demanding to actually practice. Adams was famous for going back to a site at certain time of year at certain time of day to get the picture he wanted--and then he developed the negatives and printed the positives--all using the methodology of the Zone System and previsualization. He was a wonderful photographer and human being. Some of my most precious possessions are signed prints of his. I love his photography and believe that he was an American icon who contributed so very much to our appreciation of both Nature and photography.

That's all, Blacknet, that's all.

Joewr (in awe of the great photographers of our time and earlier)

Hello,

Yes that's right, the zone system is hard and not a light road to tread as the edges are deep, steep and jagged :wink: My current project is adapting as much of it as I can (I find myself doing more b/w than color) to u/w photography.

I feel that anyone can take a snapshot but not many can do fine art underwater. That's my goal. I study the best and hopefully one day i'll be just as good.

Ed

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom