Recommendations for two weeks in SE Asia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bah

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi,

I've got two weeks free in SE Asia this June (arriving in Singapore on June 7th, leaving June 25th) and am trying to come up with a plan for the the two weeks. I'm able to fly to anywhere in the Thailand/Indonesia/Philippines area (anywhere served by Singapore Airlines, Thai Airways or Asiana Air) and have no idea where to go! I wanted to go to Palau, but it's working out too expensive (since I'd have to go with Continental via Guam or Manilla as it's not served by Singapore/Thai/Asiana air).

I'm looking for someplace with easy access, that's cheap and has great diving. I don't mind splitting my time between two/three places, and can stretch to three weeks if necessary. I prefer diving with the big stuff rather than the small and don't need a huge amount of nightlife. It's a solo trip, so cheap accommodation would be a plus too!

So, basically, if you had two-three weeks in south east asia, what would you do?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

Bunaken/Lembeh - not really big stuff, served by Silk Air( Sing air budget line) Stay at Two Fish Divers Room and Board is inexpensive. Fish density is very high, currents are strong, lots of fish diversity.
Dive Manado/Bunaken and Dive Lembeh with Two Fish Divers Bunaken

Coron Philippines - wrecks, Sing Air to Manilla, Asian Spirit to Busuanga (cost was cheap yesterday), that wound up being my choice going home from India during the same time frame. (June 27 - July 8) Philippine Diving; your guide to diving, accommodation and travel in Coron and Busuanga

Other Philippines destinataions ask on the PPD

Thailand / Vietnam / Cambodia - cheap but the diving will not compare well to Ind/PP.

Sri Lanka / India wrong season.

Bali - not as good as Bunaken

Maldives Live aboard - not cheap, I think you'll see some big stuff in the South. You might be able to pick up a last minute cancellation to mitigate the cost.

Other options I haven't been too, would be Tioman Malaysia , Komodo Ind, Borneo Ind. Nothing is a perfect match for what you're asking about.

How much you willing to spend and what kind of marine life do you want to see? You can spend 2 weeks of great diving at an affordable rate in the Philippines.

Come visit the PPD. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/philippine-paradise-divers/

Here are some places you can look up for the "bigger" stuff: Bohol, Puerto Galera, Malapascua. Mind you, these places are not to be compared to what big stuff you see in Palau.

Have fun on your trip!

Edit: I've heard Bali is pretty good for the big stuff, not sure about prices though.

depend on what type of diving - wall, muck, big fish, manta, wreck.
Bali has all though not the best for each type; you can spend few days at Menjangan/Pemuteran area for wall and muck diving; few days for Tulamben/Amed and then Candi Dasa/Padang Bai and Nusa Penida (But I think June is not mola season in Bali). Two weeks will be okay to cover most of balli sites. Not very easy access, but if you still have time go to Komodo or Alor.

Bah,

I'm certainly no expert on Malaysian Diving but if you consider Tioman Island, Malaysia and find yourself there from 11th-15th June let me know.

There is a HUGE Dive event taking place on Tioman during this time: Tioman Mega Dive - Treasures of Tioman

Some highlights of the event
1) CASH prizes between $500-$1,000 USD
2) Large Beach party the night of departure
3) Various dive activities both topside as well as underwater during all 4 days

I'm also looking for a dive buddy as well, if you're interested.

TX_Diver
gy_chiu@yahoo.com

Thanks for all the advice so far!

Just to clarify things a little - I won't be able to fly on SilkAir, only on Singapore Air, Thai Airways and Asiana Airlines. So I can fly into any two of the following places:

Denpasar
Bandar Seri Begawan
Manila
Male (although I doubt I could afford Maldives prices!)
Clark
Cebu

AND!!! Due to some last minute wrangling with my frequent flyer miles - I can afford a trip to Palau (or at least I can afford to flights part). So I also have the option now of flying to Manilla, then on to Palau.

So, if faced with the choice of visiting any two of the above places, or a trip to the Philippines followed by 5-7 days in Palau, what would you choose (bearing in mind that I prefer big fish and lots of them to muck diving)?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom