Recommendations for locations and LDS/instructor in FL or nearby?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver825

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I live in the southeast (U.S.) and am interested in doing a Rescue-to-Divemaster program that is somewhat nearby. In other words, still in the U.S. and not at some far-away destination or remote island. I wish I could go to one of those destinations, but staying close to home is a requirement at this time. I have about a 1-2 month break in my job (starting at the end of August), so I would like to take advantage of this to concentrate on learning as much about diving as possible and becoming a better diver. I am not in a rush to work as a divemaster or instructor, but rather am trying to take advantage of my "free time" to improve my skills and knowledge. My goal is to become more confident, more competent, and hopefully able to assist others in any situation that may arise.

Priorities:
1.) Quality instruction. I believe strongly in this and want someone who is experienced in training DMs and will train me properly. I do not want to cram a DM course and studying into a few dives spread out over a mere 7 days. I am looking for something like an internship that will allow me to gain valuable experience via real-world participation and observation while taking the course.
2.) Cost. Obviously this is a factor (when isn't it?). I am not looking for the lowest possible cost, but am looking one that is reasonable and provides value - in other words, what I get for my money (good instruction, good diving/sites, experience, opportunities)
3.) Location. Southern FL (Keys) seems to be a good candidate due balance of proximity to family and quality of diving sites, but I am certainly open to any of your suggestions. My longer term goal is to be able to work part-time in the industry during the non-winter months each year. It must be in the U.S. since I have a full-time job. I'm thinking that doing my training in the same area I hope to work is the way to go.

I would appreciate any suggestions on this topic, as well as any additional useful input from you "experts" and experienced divers out there. I just want to learn more, and later on down the road, be able to share my passion for teaching and for diving by leading dives, maybe instructing, and all those other wonderful DM duties such as working with equipment.

I'm looking to start in a couple weeks, if possible, so I need to get on with the research and make some decisions...

I am guessing that you probably got my private message. If you didn't let me know and I will resend it. I am sorry I couldn't be more help with programs in the states. I hope your search is going well. Just one quick comment before I try to get back to work. I just think you might need to be aware that even 4-6 weeks is still pushing through the course pretty quick. The ones that advertise it for a week and a half or 2 weeks aren't telling you that it will be 16 hour days to do it that quick. There are a lot of things to take care of so be prepared for a lot of reading and a lot of work. It is fun and interesting for the most part. After all you are diving and learning about the equipment, history, etc. Good luck and feel free to get back in touch with any questions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom