Recommendations for Lightroom alternatives

Other than Lightroom, what do you use to edit photos?

• Luminar

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • DxO Photo Lab Essentials

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • DxO Photo Lab Elite

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Capture One (Free for Sony)

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Capture One Pro

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • On One (On 1) Photo Raw

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Other

Votes: 12 52.2%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hoag

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
It looks as though I will be shifting away from Lightroom for my photo editing for both above and below the surface.

I currently shoot a Sony A6000 (my underwater camera and my backup body) and have a Sony A7iii on pre-order that will become my primary camera for above the surface. I expect that I will be picking up my A7iii very shortly. (I am making the shift from a Canon 6D to the A7iii as my primary camera.)

I am looking for a way to not only edit my images, but also a way to vet/filter them. The latter is a feature which Luminar currently lacks, but has promised as a free update. All of the others should meet my basic needs, but I wanted to reach out to see if anyone uses and could recommend any of those listed and why you like it.

I realize that none of these editors currently support the Sony A7iii, but I expect that each of them will with their next update.

Edited to add: I will be using this on an iMac. (I will likely have to upgrade my computer too to meet the minimum requirements for any of these.)

Last edited:
I think Aperature has a similar indexing feature to Lightroom, but that is a Mac app only I believe.

I still fall back to Photoshop for serious post production, in part because I can convert to the CMYK colour-space which I need for publication work.

Last edited:
If you have a Sony you might give Capture One a try. Lots of my land photo friends use it.

Out of curiosity, why are you moving away from Lightroom?

And I thought Aperture died a few years ago. Did Apple bring it back?

-Chris

Out of curiosity, why are you moving away from Lightroom?

And I thought Aperture died a few years ago. Did Apple bring it back?

-Chris
Chris,

Yes, Aperture was phased out a few years ago and it was replaced with Photos.

I am moving away from Lightroom because I currently run Lightroom 4.4. My Canon 6D was supported, but my Sony A6000 was not. To edit any of my A6000 images, I would have to convert the RAW file to a .dng file and then I could edit the images. It was a nuisance with one camera, but after I pick up my A7iii, then neither of my cameras will be supported by my version of Lightroom.

I want a stand alone photo editor (not a subscription based one) for many reasons. One reason is that since the subscription price is based on USD, and I live in Canada, the monthly fees for any such subscription will fluctuate with the exchange rate on the date of monthly billing. Another reason is that within about a year or so, I will have paid more for the subscription (to Lightroom) than I would have paid to purchase a stand alone editor as a one time purchase and then I will have no further costs until such time as I upgrade my camera gear beyond what the editor (and its updates) are able to support.

I went through the same exercise and decided to stick with Lightroom 4.4.1 (perpetual) on my a bit older MacBook Air and W7 PC after reading about performance and other issues with the newer revisions of LR perpetual.

I have evaluated Luminar, Capture One (Sony) and On 1 and found that they are slower than my version of LR, the ability to cull images is not as good or missing as compared to LR . I prefer the LR interface that I am fairly adept at. The alternatives have their pros and cons, learning curve being one of the cons.

Although LR 4.4.1 does not support my newer Sony, Adobe does have a Raw to DNG converter that works pretty well for me as a hobbiest photographer. It is an extra step and there is additional storage but it does work and Adobe seems to keep it updated to include new cameras.

Yeah, not a fan of the subscriptions myself. I'm still on LR 5.7 and will be until I tech out like you have.

Converting will be a nightmare since i have 3 different libraries with 3-7,000 images in each.

For a preliminary look and processing of raw images, organizing them and filtering Take a look at Corel Aftershot Pro 3, speedy (I love how quick and efficient it is), works on win and linux and mac. For the rest of detailed post-processing convert from raw to tiff and you are better off with other tools from Adobe or any others ...

P

Capture one is a great raw converter and it can replace lightroom with its asset management features and editing tools. With Sony you get a free version, so it's worth trying for that alone, It is a once off purcahse if you decide to upgrade for additional features. This link is the the Sony version and there is a link to compare what is in the Sony version vs the pro version.

Capture One Sony 11 Imaging Software | Phase One

I bought C1 Pro when I bought my EM-1 MkII and I like the job it does on RAW conversion. The learning curve is a little steep but there are plenty of tutorials explaining the various features available.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom