Recommendations for Grand Turk

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pinache

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi!

I'm doing a cruise in January and we get one day at Grand Turk. Anyone have any recommendations for who to go with? I heard some sketchy things about Oasis Divers - they also don't have anything relating to PADI or any other diving organization on their website, which I thought was weird. I've also heard they're fine. Just hoping to avoid any issues. Will be diving with my BF, who is fairly nervous and has only had 2 ocean dives so far. He would definitely feel more comfortable with a DM who is going to be very involved and paying close attention to the divers.

Hi!

I'm doing a cruise in January and we get one day at Grand Turk. Anyone have any recommendations for who to go with? I heard some sketchy things about Oasis Divers - they also don't have anything relating to PADI or any other diving organization on their website, which I thought was weird. I've also heard they're fine. Just hoping to avoid any issues. Will be diving with my BF, who is fairly nervous and has only had 2 ocean dives so far. He would definitely feel more comfortable with a DM who is going to be very involved and paying close attention to the divers.
I'm not sure where you heard "some sketchy things" about Oasis Divers, but I have dove with them and I had a great experience.

I spent 10 days in March 2016 at the Bohio on Grand Turk and dove with Oasis Divers. The service was bordering on "concierge" service. Our gear would be loaded onto the boat for us (and off-loaded after the dives). There would be a DM in the water for every dive who had a knack for finding stuff that most of us would have missed. The dives were not in any way time limited. If somebody was able to get a very long dive in, then they were OK with that. I had a few dives in excess of an hour. (This might not be the case if they need to meet a cruise ship's itinerary/schedule.) The wall, and therefore the dive sites were all very short trips from shore (5-10 minutes) so time was spent diving, not "commuting".

If there was any draw-back, then I would have to say that it was that the dive briefings often lacked detail. A typical dive-site briefing was along the lines of "This site is called _____________. Max depth is 100 ft. Who is following me? OK. The pool is open."

I would say that you could book with Oasis and not worry. No matter who you ultimately choose, have a great trip.

I've dove with Oasis Divers in the past and have had no issues with them. They were friendly, polite and knowledgeable. My wife was a relatively new diver at the time and she'll tell you she thought it was one of her better experiences. In the end you need to do what your comfortable with. Hope you have a great time diving and stay safe!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom