Recommendations for first UW camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sytech

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I own a Canon PowerShot S-500 5 MP Digital Elph which takes beautiful photos on land.

About a year ago I bought a plastic underwater housing from Ikelite and ended up selling it on Ebay before ever using it.

My concern was that because I am not especially knowledgeable about photography and also hadn't developed my diving skills to a comfortable level I didn't want to mess with UW photography.

I'm ready to explore the subject now and first of all was wondering if there is such a thing as a basic "dedicated" UW digital camera. In other words a waterproof housing that is a permanent component of the camera? If so, does this confer any advantage regarding waterproof-ness ?

If not can someome suggest the best way to go for taking decent photos in tropical water at say over 30 feet.

Thanks,

Sy

sytech:
I own a Canon PowerShot S-500 5 MP Digital Elph which takes beautiful photos on land.

About a year ago I bought a plastic underwater housing from Ikelite and ended up selling it on Ebay before ever using it.

My concern was that because I am not especially knowledgeable about photography and also hadn't developed my diving skills to a comfortable level I didn't want to mess with UW photography.

I'm ready to explore the subject now and first of all was wondering if there is such a thing as a basic "dedicated" UW digital camera. In other words a waterproof housing that is a permanent component of the camera? If so, does this confer any advantage regarding waterproof-ness ?

If not can someome suggest the best way to go for taking decent photos in tropical water at say over 30 feet.

Thanks,

Sy

A few exist but they typically have fewer features for more money due to the fact that they have the built in housing. I suggest you get something cheap like a canon a610 and the housing (total under 400) and have a blast with that until you flood it in a year or so then you can make a more informed and possibly more expensive choice down the road as your needs change. Good luck! Basically, if you want really nice photos you are in for atleast a grand (easily up to 3 grand depending on what you get) once you add a strobe to your basic digital camera. I usually go cheaper and enjoy basic shots I get and when I flood, and I will, I get another 200 buck digital and move on. The decision I made was I wanted to be a diver who takes some photos and not a photographer who dives some. That is what dictates how much I will spend and what I think I need.

I am always surprised at what I get without a strobe and my cheap a610, basic but great fun.....http://www.visitjason.com/personal/index.html

Sy -

This is what I would do:
Keep my SD500 for land stuff. It's tiny, slips in a pocket, is ready to go anywhere and does a good job.

Buy a Canon A series (there are a whole lot to choose from so you should be able to find one at your price point) and Canon housing (about $170 ish) for my underwater work.

This is an easy system to start with, but it will grow as your needs and interests do. It is easy to maintain.

I'm not a big fan of the choices out there for "underwater digicams", though several of our members do use them and like them. They still have flood potential.

Flooding is almost always user error - whether the user recognizes that or not :wink:

if you are just tiptoeing into UW photography, I would just get the Canon housing for the camera you have, rather than go and buy another camera right now. you can do pretty well with the ELPH starting out. check out my gallery for some shots with a SD500. like alcina mentioned, it is easy to travel with as well.

Alcina,

What are the primary differences between my Powershot S-500 and the Canon A series? Any reason you wouldn't use the Powershot S-500?

Your photos are breathtaking but I presume you know more than a little about photography. I am pretty good at understanding technical matters but for some reason the technical aspects of photography just don't stick.

Anyhow can you give us some pointers about flooding and user error?

Thanks,

Sy

alcina:
Sy -

This is what I would do:
Keep my SD500 for land stuff. It's tiny, slips in a pocket, is ready to go anywhere and does a good job.

Buy a Canon A series (there are a whole lot to choose from so you should be able to find one at your price point) and Canon housing (about $170 ish) for my underwater work.

This is an easy system to start with, but it will grow as your needs and interests do. It is easy to maintain.

I'm not a big fan of the choices out there for "underwater digicams", though several of our members do use them and like them. They still have flood potential.

Flooding is almost always user error - whether the user recognizes that or not :wink:

Here ya go!
Some reviews on sp-500 and some a-series cameras. Should be technical enough for your liking :)
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/s500.html
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_reviews/a630.html
Pointers to avoid flooding.. pay extra attention when putting your camera equipment together before the dive. Check the o-ring before you seal your housing. Test your housing in a rinse tank before jumping in with it. Don't stretch the o-ring but do apply silicon to it. Never use any other silicon product than the one you received with your housing!!! You can ruin your o-ring if you use wrong silicon. That is all too easy way to flood your camera.

sytech:
Alcina,

What are the primary differences between my Powershot S-500 and the Canon A series? Any reason you wouldn't use the Powershot S-500?

Your photos are breathtaking but I presume you know more than a little about photography. I am pretty good at understanding technical matters but for some reason the technical aspects of photography just don't stick.

Anyhow can you give us some pointers about flooding and user error?

Thanks,

Sy
Technically speaking they are pretty close depending on what A series camera you get. The major dif. is that the elph models are, as you probably know, smaller and therefore tend to cost a little more than the small/medium sized A series Canon cameras. So, yes, you could get the housing for your current elph but the downside is that if it floods you are left without a vacation camera but I it all the time and rarely get unlucky if careful with the Canon housing. You could also just buy a really cheap digital for a land backup for under 100 bucks and take that on vacation too and then use the elph for both knowing you have the backup land digital. A three MP digital with decent features can be found for under 100 bucks. Cheaper than buying a whole knew Canon camera and housing. Just some more options.:wink:

I would not use the SD series for underwater work because they do not have controls for setting your aperture or shutter. That is a deal killer for me.

I love the SD series for walkarounds...but if I'm taking it underwater, it's the A series.

Flooding usually happens because the user didn't quite get the orings clean enough, or didn't get them seated properly,or some other missed thing. The number one issue is not getting them clean enough. It takes only the finest hair or tiniest bit of dirt to allow a leak or a flood.

Make sure you set your gear up in an area with ample light and really inspect the entire oring both visually and be feel. Also inspect the housing groove - I can't count how many times I've seen someone spend five minutes on the oring only to stick in the groove without even looking at it. Don't stretch or pull your oring. Don't over grease it. Oring grease is only to keep the oring supple, it doesn't in itself aid in sealing. Teeny amount when needed should do you fine.

Before you hit the water look at the seal again just to make sure that it hasn't been knocked etc. The clear housings are great because you can see if the oring is seated properly and you can see bits of stuff and remedy before submerging.

Try not to open the housing between dives if you don't have to. If you do have to, take your time. Make sure you have a lot of light. Go slow, don't rush.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom