Recommendations for first time trip to Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guitarcrazy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My wife and I are looking at going to Belize. We have been to Cozumel probably 7 or 8 times, dove Puerto Vallarta, and went to Anthony's Key in Roatan last October. We had a great time in Roatan, but would probably still give the edge to the reef in Cozumel. We are looking at Belize as our next destination. Where should we head for good diving and good experience? Probably not going to do Turneffe, but considering Placencia for the option of finding whale sharks. We are not looking for wild night life, so quieter places are fine. We are both advanced with 80 to 90 dives. Thanks.

How long would you like to sit on a boat to get to a dive site?

Placencia is great, very low key (although there is a bar that does karaoke late), but the closest sites that most operators go to are roughly an hour away (with some awesome ones in the 80-100 minute mark depending on vessel)

Caye Caulker is great as well, and has shorter rides out to sites (1hr to the north end of Turneff, less than 30min everywhere else)

Ambergis/San Pedro is busier, louder, but the reef is right there ....

Getting there ...

Placencia, take Tropic/Maya air to fly down

Caye Caulker, you could fly, but the water taxi is quick if your flight is scheduled to arrive before 3PM (I've had issues with later scheduled landings ... usually delayed on departure, and have missed the last sailing)

Ambergis/SP ... same deal as Caye Caulker, but I'd warrant the flight is quicker and easier than taking a taxi (~30USD) and then the water taxi (with a stop at Caye Caulker first)

YMMV

_R

Hopkins is a small charming village with a range of accommodations and a variety of food. I like it better than placencia. It also is the location of hamanasi, an excellent dive resort.

Are you set on diving land based? Have you done liveaboards? IMHO, the best Belize diving is Lighthouse reef and it's best done by liveaboard. It is very good Caribbean diving. Have fun :)

My wife isn't crazy about the idea of being on a boat with a tiny cabin for a week. I may try a liveaboard sometime, but I doubt my wife would ever want to do it. She likes the creature comforts.

My wife isn't crazy about the idea of being on a boat with a tiny cabin for a week. I may try a liveaboard sometime, but I doubt my wife would ever want to do it. She likes the creature comforts.

I get it. :) My wife said the same thing until she did her first liveaboard. There are some nice ones out there and you really don't spend much time in your cabin with all the diving and common areas. Actually it was the first night on the top deck when the captain killed all the lights that sold her. Nothing quite like the sky at night with no land (or light pollution) in sight. You can count satellites...oh man, now I'm jonesing...lol. :bounce::bounce::bounce: Don't give up hope and good luck.

I like my creature comforts too and love liveaboards. You might be surprised at the creature comforts you can get on a liveaboard, they might just be somewhat ones than usual. A couple nights on land after a liveaboard makes a nice combo to get it all.

Have you looked at Huracan on Long Caye or Off the wall on Glovers? Depending on what creature comforts you are looking for these might work. Both are what I would call eco resorts (max 10 guests) so some creature comforts are maybe compromised. We've been to both and the diving is good and close. You can find reviews of both on here as well as Trip Advisor, we wouldn't hesitate to go back either one.

My wife and I are looking at going to Belize. We have been to Cozumel probably 7 or 8 times, dove Puerto Vallarta, and went to Anthony's Key in Roatan last October. We had a great time in Roatan, but would probably still give the edge to the reef in Cozumel. We are looking at Belize as our next destination. Where should we head for good diving and good experience? Probably not going to do Turneffe, but considering Placencia for the option of finding whale sharks. We are not looking for wild night life, so quieter places are fine. We are both advanced with 80 to 90 dives. Thanks.

Trip report from our May 2018 trip to Ambergris: "Why NOT Ambergris?"

Thanks for the great trip report. I just contacted Ecologic divers to see about scheduling a trip. J

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom