Recommendations for first Coz trip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BalekFekete

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi everyone -

I need a schooling please on diving Coz. I have it on a short list for a 2022 trip but have never been.

Background: wife and I are AOW with (by next year) about 75 dives under our integrated weights. We are fully kitted so only need tanks/weights. Don’t need to pinch pennies...rather spend more and get more while on vacation. I’ve been partial to all-inclusive placed in the past to keep it simple, but wouldn’t call it a must be.

Thanks in advance!

Hi everyone -

I need a schooling please on diving Coz. I have it on a short list for a 2022 trip but have never been.

Background: wife and I are AOW with (by next year) about 75 dives under our integrated weights. We are fully kitted so only need tanks/weights. Don’t need to pinch pennies...rather spend more and get more while on vacation. I’ve been partial to all-inclusive placed in the past to keep it simple, but wouldn’t call it a must be.

Thanks in advance!
I recommend datamining this forum. You will find tons of firsthand information about hotels, Cozumel AI pros and cons, restaurants, dive ops, dive sites, onshore activities, coronavirus testing and prevention measures, weather, currents, taxis, car rentals... What you are requesting is far too broad to get any sort of precise response.

My Research Notes from Planning Cozumel Trip - My Research Notes from Planning Cozumel Trip
Tres Pelicanos & Casa Mexicana, Cozumel Sept. 2018 Report - Tres Pelicanos/Casa Mexican Trip Report Sept. 2018

If you've got the mental stamina to read through it, my research notes should cover some bases.

Do you want to be able to conveniently wander around the main town? Hitting restaurants that way may give you the best food. Do you want a sandy beach to lounge about? A.I. resorts away from town may be your best bet. Do you want big, 120-cf steel tanks, that'll narrow dive op.s down a good deal.

Hi everyone -

Thanks in advance!
Good Morning! I understand you wanting to get as much information as you can. I am in a similar situation and you can see my threads/posts on this forum about recommendations on AI vs. in town hotels, and different dive ops. There are so many options and choices it can be a challenge to narrow down to what you want.

I want something convenient and easy but also want to experience the culture and restaurants. I also love quiet. Once I got recommendations on restaurants (see lots of great threads on this topic), it made it easier for me to look at places in town or close. From what I've heard, it is not a big deal to grab a cab to town and not expensive. I also found some good recommendations for staying in town in quiet places, like Villa Anclas or Villa Escondida (lots of other places too like Casa Mexicana gets good reviews and includes breakfast). Many dive ops have packages too for hotel/diving. The two smaller "Villa" places I mention above do not so you have to book separately. There are 3-4 dive ops I'm looking at (although recommendations for more good ones are here on this forum).

I have 3 VERY different options I'm considering (1) Stay at Villa Anclas or Villa Escondida and dive with Tres Pelicanos or Aldora's. Easy walk to either dive shop and easy walk for restaurants. (2) Stay at Village Tan Kah and dive with Roberta's Scuba Shack. Grab a cab into town for restaurants a few times, or get something to eat nearby (not a lot of choices but a couple in walking distance). Scuba Shack looks likes a nice little boutique place and quiet. (3) Last and probably least for me: Stay at Iberostar all inclusive and dive with Aldora or Tres Pelicanos or Salty Endeavors. Convenient for meals. Might be noisy with all the people. Supposed to have wonderful beach if that's important. Located south and short distance to dive sites so I hear if you are prone to motion sickness might be nice. Negative: not cheap and if you want to experience meals in town, will have added expense of cabs and meals.

Iberostar, like some of the other AIs and hotels, has included testing for COVID on premises and Iberostar has courtesy stay if test positive and have to quarantine. Others have reduced rates. I contacted Villa Anclas and they charge a minimal fee if you need to quarantine on premises. Hopefully not an issue for us. Roberta's also has a reduced rate. I understand the smaller places cannot afford to just provide a courtesy free of charge stay.

I hope this helps. I do not like cattle boats and ops like Dressel on Iberostar make me think of that with the number of divers on their boats, although they say that there are only 6-7 divers "per DM" but it still makes for a crowded boat in my opinion. I dove with Aldora's a little over a year ago and they are very good. Tres Pelicanos and Salty Endeavors both get excellent reviews here too.

My Research Notes from Planning Cozumel Trip - My Research Notes from Planning Cozumel Trip
Tres Pelicanos & Casa Mexicana, Cozumel Sept. 2018 Report - Tres Pelicanos/Casa Mexican Trip Report Sept. 2018

If you've got the mental stamina to read through it, my research notes should cover some bases.

Good Morning! I understand you wanting to get as much information as you can. I am in a similar situation and you can see my threads/posts on this forum about recommendations on AI vs. in town hotels, and different dive ops. There are so many options and choices it can be a challenge to narrow down to what you want.

Thanks both for the great info. I'll be distilling through it and using it without a doubt!

Hi everyone -

Thanks in advance!
Some of the very best diving in North America is off Cozumel. So, you’ve made a great choice. The number of excellent dive shops is extensive, and most know how to serve both experienced divers and novice divers.

After several years of staying at the Fiesta Americana, we began renting a house. I think for newcomers to Coz, the Fiesta is a fine, convenient hotel. It has a dock that most dive operations will use to meet you.

We’ve dove with several outfits, but finally settled on the Manta Raya and Fernando Gonzales. It’s a quality operation AND Fernando is both a great DM and teacher (We got our Nitrox Cert with him.).

That said, no matter what choices you make, be ready for some world class diving: the drift dives off Coz are world class!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom