Recommendations for E-PL10 beyond macro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rad_rhino

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all, I've begun the process of upgrading my camera rig from a GoPro with a tray to an E-PL10, and I was curious if people had specific recommendations beyond macro. I think I'm set for macro with the 60mm f2.8 lens (maybe I'll get a diopter sometime in the future, but I'm thinking starting with this is good enough for now). I've read/watched the Backscatter Wide Angle guide for the E-PL10, and it wasn't really clear to me what an ideal setup would be for wide angle.

From the Backscatter system chart, it looks like there's really four main options- Oly 8mm fisheye, Panasonic 8mm fisheye, Oly 9-18mm zoom, or the kit lens with a wet lens. Does anyone with experience with any of these configurations have any comments, recommendations, or lessons learned?

I'm also interested in hearing any recommendations anyone might have for configurations not listed on the system chart. I know that everything on the system chart is safe and should work without issue, but I'm guessing there's other lens/port combinations that may work that aren't listed.

Thanks in advance!

BoltSnap

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Oly 8mm fisheye, Panasonic 8mm fisheye, Oly 9-18mm zoom, or the kit lens with a wet lens. Does anyone with experience with any of these configurations have any comments, recommendations, or lessons learned?

The OLY 8mm and Pani 8mm are fisheye lens I'd use for CFWA or, perhaps wrecks, but not much beyond that. I don't have the OLY 9-18mm but I think that it is a rectilinear WA zoom lens that maybe more useful for you.

OP
R

rad_rhino

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
The OLY 8mm and Pani 8mm are fisheye lens I'd use for CFWA or, perhaps wrecks, but not much beyond that. I don't have the OLY 9-18mm but I think that it is a rectilinear WA zoom lens that maybe more useful for you.
Ah ok, thanks! I think I'm going to try to stick with practicing macro shooting for a while since I already have what I need for it, but I want to start saving to eventually get either a wide lens + dome port or a wet lens. I actually think the idea of CFWA is really neat, but I suppose its not exactly THAT different from macro already, so maybe fisheye won't be what I want.

Furnari

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Do you have the AOI housing? If so, they now have an adapter to use OMD ports in housings like yours that are designed to take PEN ports. The benefit to this is that it allows you to use the Olympus 7-14, 8-25, 12-40, and 12-45 Pro lenses. Backscatter can hook you up with the adapter and appropriate zoom gears to give you high quality wide angle, zoomable rectilinear lenses if you get an appropriate OMD dome. A cheaper alternative would be the panasonic 7-14 lens; I don't believe AOI shows it on their port charts, but other companies sell plastic or glass domes for the PEN system that are designed to work with that lens.

OP
R

rad_rhino

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Do you have the AOI housing? If so, they now have an adapter to use OMD ports in housings like yours that are designed to take PEN ports. The benefit to this is that it allows you to use the Olympus 7-14, 8-25, 12-40, and 12-45 Pro lenses. Backscatter can hook you up with the adapter and appropriate zoom gears to give you high quality wide angle, zoomable rectilinear lenses if you get an appropriate OMD dome. A cheaper alternative would be the panasonic 7-14 lens; I don't believe AOI shows it on their port charts, but other companies sell plastic or glass domes for the PEN system that are designed to work with that lens.
I'm targeting the AOI housing as my next purchase. The 7-14mm Olympus is really high on my list of interesting lenses (beyond the 8mm fisheye) once I start playing with wide angle. I've been trying to figure out if there was a way to use the 7-14, but it isn't on the system chart for the housing and I couldn't find any good info googling around. I'll definitely shoot a message to backscatter to ask about the adapter for OMD ports when I order the housing. Thanks so much!

BoltSnap

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Why would one get the 7-14 not the OLY 8-25? I don't see the point at all. I have watched/read all of the reviews and comparisons out there since the 8-25 came out and there is no reason to get the 7-14 at all compared with the 8-25. The 8-25 is more versatile, same or better quality and less money.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Top Bottom