Recommendations for drysuit undergarment for FL caves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DDKL

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
As the title says - I'm looking for recommendations for undergarments for FL caves. For reference, I dive Mexican caves with just a Xerotherm top/bottom and 3mm hood and am comfortable for at least 90 mins+.

I'm looking for something on the more affordable end for an upcoming trip and don't want to splurge on a set of Fourth Element Arctic or similar price right now.

Edit: Just want to make it clear that I did search before posting this and almost all the prior posts just said Fourth Element or 200g generic... I'm hoping for some more specific recommendations as I'll be ordering as no local stores have anything viable in stock.

Thanks,

D.

If you have the xerotherms already, I would roll with those and get a set of base layers from Walmart - I picked up a set of the cheap Athletic works ones and they are reasonably nice to wear underneath. Cheap too. Avoid the cotton ones, but they have a non-cotton option. Cheap, easy, and will add a layer under your xerotherms.

My xerotherms are too snug to get anything underneath... I probably should have gotten a size up when I got those a few years ago but they’ve been working fine by themselves until now.

My xerotherms are too snug to get anything underneath... I probably should have gotten a size up when I got those a few years ago but they’ve been working fine by themselves until now.

You can’t get thin polypro under them?

Not without spending quite a while trying to ensure that it’s flat and then being potentially restricted in movement... it’s pretty much sized at the snugness that my regular long underwear is - Like I said, I probably should have gone for a size up when I got it but it works as a stand-alone or a baselayer itself...

I have also been wearing them for a couple of years so it’s also possible they ended up in the wrong wash load at some point.

Not without spending quite a while trying to ensure that it’s flat and then being potentially restricted in movement... it’s pretty much sized at the snugness that my regular long underwear is - Like I said, I probably should have gone for a size up when I got it but it works as a stand-alone or a baselayer itself...

I have also been wearing them for a couple of years so it’s also possible they ended up in the wrong wash load at some point.

OK, then. You need stuff to go OVER them. Any poly fleece should work. Or maybe thicker base layers from REI - just sized larger.

That has always been the backup plan - just looking for any alternatives...(the fewer items to keep track of the better!)

That has always been the backup plan - just looking for any alternatives...(the fewer items to keep track of the better!)

Well, you did say you didn’t want to shell out for the Arctic.

;-> !

Never said it made much sense but I haven’t needed this weight of undergarment before (just very light and very thick) and was just wondering whether there were any more affordable options at the moment...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom