Recommendations for diving in Panama

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

David Grow

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
In October, I am going to Panama City, Panama for work. I'd like to do some diving while I'm there! Looking for recommendations of dive sites & operators. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

DG

Ferry over to Contradora Island...only 1 or 2 operators...local was the very first two Survivors seasons......

Hey, I went diving there in March 2015. The twin tug wrecks was pretty cool. The hovercraft was kinda lack luster and I can't remember the 3rd wreck I went to.

The one thing I vividly remember is it was surprisingly cold that time of year in a wet wetsuit on the boat. The boat I was on had a semi-enclosed area with a heater inside. This made it not bad at all, but I think without the heater it would have been cold enough to ruin the trip for me.

According to my log book I went with Panama city diving.

Hey, I went diving there in March 2015. The twin tug wrecks was pretty cool. The hovercraft was kinda lack luster and I can't remember the 3rd wreck I went to.

The one thing I vividly remember is it was surprisingly cold that time of year in a wet wetsuit on the boat. The boat I was on had a semi-enclosed area with a heater inside. This made it not bad at all, but I think without the heater it would have been cold enough to ruin the trip for me.

According to my log book I went with Panama city diving.
We're going to Panama, Panama too, and looking for diving. I found panamacitydiving.com, but they are in Panama city, FL, not in the country of Panama. Can you please check your notest again. Thx.

I did 6 dives from Panama City in 2011. Two dives on the Caribbean side were terrible. The first two dives from Portobello were mediocre. The airplane is a crappy dive. The second two dives from Portobellos were actually OK and fun, was by myself with a guide, had to convince him to dive for an hour. The reef was OK. This was a business trip, I would never go there on a dive vacation.

I used Scuba Panama, good transportation. No idea their current status, seems like they have the same dives I did. Transportation from Panama City is a major concern, they did very well.

I did 6 dives from Panama City in 2011. Two dives on the Caribbean side were terrible. The first two dives from Portobello were mediocre. The second two dives from Portobellos were actually OK and fun. This was a business trip, I would never go there on a dive vacation.
Thx, that's helpful. So the Caribbean side diving not too special. Did you do Pacific side diving?

We're flying to Panama city to go on cruise from Colon on 3/29. Panamanian dive ops are not responsive (as someone pointed out)

Only Scubapanama responded, and has $200+tax for Pacific diving, with longer boat ride to Taboga and Taboguilla. For my wife as snorkeler, it's $100+t.

For the Caribbean side, diving near Portobellos (transport from Panama City) is cheaper at $155+t, and still $100 for wife as snorkeler. Description of the dive sites by Portobello, seem to show low viz 5-10m. That doesn't sound too good.

In the cruise, I'll be diving in Puerto Vallarta, and Cabo San Luca, both have decent diving, and cheaper than Panama prices.

Portobello is the Pacific side. If I had one place to dive, it would be there. I would ask for the reefs. Don't have high expectations. My dives were 5-6 years ago.

We might be talking different Portobello. The ones Scubapanama talked about, diving close to Colon (i.e. to drop off to cruise terminal), is diving at Portobello, and to see ruins in the Caribbean or Atlantic side.

I wouldn't have thought so, my Portobello was on the Pacific side. Best of luck on your trip
1645662609339.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom