Recommendations for dive op Key West 4 easy peasy dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Flightlead

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all

Its been many years since I was active on here. After going all technical-nerd for a while I changed directions and spent a few years focused on flying. Flew the airshow circuit a little (low level formation aerobatics, at night ftw!) and am now back. Hello to anyone that remembers me.

My new bride and I are currently living on our sailboat and just made it to Key West a couple of weeks ago. We're both very rusty and both will be diving new rigs.

Consequently I'm looking for recommendations for a dive operator and for one or two easy peasy dives to tune up our skills and rigs before trying something a bit more challenging.

I just got back from Key West. Below is my review of Captain's Corner I posted in the Florida board. Bottom line - highly recommend. Their 2-tank reef dives would be great for a refresher. Relaxed, nothing too deep. They don't have a guide in the water with you but you can hire a private guide for you both for only $65.

I just got back from Key West and had a great experience with Captain's Corner.

Boat: Sea Eagle (approx 24 person, has marine head, 2 fresh water showers, 1 fresh water hose, 2 buckets for masks, 1 bucket for cameras, 1 large cooler for drinks/food, 1 large fresh water cooler for drinking).

Reef dives: They offer 2-tank reef dives in the afternoon. I did 2 days of reef dives in a row, each dive was a different site (Rock Key & Eastern Dry Rocks on the first day; Marker 32 & Nine Foot Stake on the second day). The captain says they choose the dive sites based on the weather and conditions that day.

Vandenberg Wreck dive: They offer a double dip 2-tank Vandenberg dive in the morning. I did 2 days of Vandenberg dives and had a great time.

They don't have any DMs in the water with you, unless you hire a separate guide for $65/day. Since I was by myself, this was my first boat diving trip, and first wreck dive, I hired a DM for all 4 days. My guides were great. Even with the extra fee for the guide, it was still cheaper than some other operators in Key West.

They let me keep my gear with them after each day so I didn't have to lug it back and forth from my hotel.

Overall great experience, and I'm definitely going to use them again if I come back to Key West.

Back
Top Bottom