Recommendations for Belize Trip- Diver and Non Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RobPNW

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I know there are a number of threads on this destination but I have kind of a focused request for recommendations.

I'm a relative newbie with around 50ish dives, mostly during short trips over the years. I'd like to start drysuit diving up here in the PNW next year and am looking at drysuit options. I got a whole set of new gear during the pandemic, so I'd like to go on a couple trips where I can get my dive count up significantly, get some good muscle memory on the new gear, and get familiar with my new computer before returning home and racheting up my task loading my the cold water drysuit diving. I'd also like to get in some very well deserved trip fun after a couple years of significant work time.

With that said, I know a liveaboard is often recommended for shear dive volume. But my mother may be interested in going as a non diver for some getaway time. Are there recommendations for a dive centric operation where I would maximize my time in the water while also being an acceptable place for a older non diver to chill for some R and R? I see myself diving all day while my mother relaxes and then hanging out with her for dinner and wind down at the end of the day.

It's possible I would stay multiple weeks and she would stay one week. She wouldn't be doing much adventuring around at her age. Priority would be a comfortable room, decent service and food and diving volume for me.

Thanks in advance.

I did a week on BAIV for max diving then a week of visiting young daughter in San Pedro AC for eating/drinking and a coup!e of day dive trips while she was working. That worked pretty well for me. I would Not recommend SP for a divediivedive trip but good for topside.

Also, I'm thinking about January time frame. Is that a decent season for Belize?

January is the start of the dry season, so it's (usually) less rainy.

You might think of Turneffe Island Resort. It is on a private island on the Turneffe Atoll, It isn’t inexpensive. People do go there just to unwind, fly fish on the flats, or scuba dive. The diving is drift diving usually at about 60’. It has really good snorkeling in the lagoon with a max depth of 12’ or so, calm waters, and really good marine life.

If my mother can't make it, what would be a good dive op for getting the maximum number and variety of dives on a budget? Depending on the temperature in January, I may want ac but other than that I don't need anything fancy. As long as I get a decent meal and night sleep topside I'm good. Basic reef dives are fine. I've never done any drift dives if that's an issue there. I'm pretty happy just getting wet, meeting friends and seeing critters.

Do any of the dive ops do multiple week packages? Or do most do canned one week, rinse and repeat? If so I guess I could always do back to back.

Another option that may work for you is Anthony's Key Resort on Roatan. It's a little more budget friendly, They do 3 dives/day with 2 night dives/wk. as part of their package. They have a pool and bar area for your Mom during the day as well as a snorkel boat, if she's in to that. Some of the rooms have AC so you can opt for that. After your afternoon dive you could catch a cab and do things in the area with your Mom if she wanted to get out of the resort to see things during the week.
We've been to TIR a number of times and it's very nice, but as has been mentioned it's a little spendy. We went when they ran their low season price break,(prior to Christmas week) which they haven't done since Covid. We've been to Belize many times, but the best diving is at the outer Atolls. Not a lot for non-divers to do out there.

I realize I'm late to this thread, but life got in the way for a while there.

TIR is great but since you used the word "budget" I doubt that's an option for you. Great place. Very expensive.

Most divers go to Ambergris Caye. Lots of options there. Although I've been to Belize a bunch, I've never been there.

If you choose to go further south, you could go to Hopkins or Placencia. My favorite by far is Placencia. If your Mom is into Mayan ruins, jungle trails or bird watching, there's plenty of that right up the road. If your Mom is the super adventurous type, then there's also zip lining and/or cave tubing.

I always dive with Splash. I don't know what the other operators do, Ralph and Patty of Splash does try to accommodate divers' desire to go to different sites. Not always possible, however. Kind of depends on the weather (wind) and the number of divers going out.

Have fun! Always good to see a fellow PNWer on the board.

Mom can't make it so it's just me. Trying to decide between land or liveaboard now. Been out of the water through COVID due to some injuries, work and other life stuff.

Would like to start diving in the PNW, so I'm looking at drysuit options. I got my first full set of gear that I haven't used yet, so I'm planning on doing a refresher here and new gear familiarization first.

Then I'd like to go on this trip for 2 weeks and get some good muscle memory punching out some dives and having fun. I think at that point, I'll be ready to come home and add the task loading of cold water drysuit diving.

Maybe the Belize Aggressor will post a special and I can do a back to back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom