Recommendations for a good Shoulder Pad

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JettaAsn

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I recently got a backplate and harness setup. I love it. The only thing I wish I had now is a nice shoulder pad. The 2" webbing is so stiff and at first I was concerned about it digging into my neoprene wetsuit. So I ended up buying a shoulder pad for it. Well, its pretty stiff too and now I left some very slight wear marks on my wetsuit. When I cross my arms, I can feel it digging into my arms.

Is the wear on wetsuits typical of this style? If yes, how often do people replace their wetsuit?
Is there a good shoulder pad that will prevent this from happening?

I strongly recommend against any shoulder pad. They're not needed and need additional weight to sink.

If your webbing is "digging into" your arms, it's because it's too tight. Unlike a standard BCD, the shoulder straps on a BP/W are NOT supposed to be tight.

Some webbings are stiffer/thicker than others. You may want to shop around and see if there is thinner webbings out there. Generally the Brand name webbing packages won't chaff your suit. If you make your own harness out of weight belt webbing, that will generally be too thick and rough by comparison.

But before you do that, you might want to check your harness fitting. I'll have to go with fisheater and say that I have a feeling that you may just have your harness too tight. With your current exposure protection on you should be able to slip two fingers easily between the harness and your shoulder. You should be able to easily thumb your shoulder D-rings and pull the harness off your shoulders.
The D-rings themselves should be at your lower clavicle, but not pinch you when you hold your arms forward in front of you (from a standing position.)

The crotch strap should come up so the top meets exactly where the top of your waist strap is.

The backplate is held on by a combination of your shoulder straps, waist strap, and crotch strap. Each play a part together to keep the backplate centered on your body and prevent it from moving. None of them should be uncomfortable for wear.

I know I should not even be posting in this forum because I no idea what Hog or DIR is. I only care about getting wet or killing something to eat. And doing it all in comfort. I mainly use shoulder pads (DiveRite) for hiking. Check out Oxycheq shoulder pads at SCUBAToys. http://oxycheq.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_10_21&products_id=372

Also check out DiveGearExpress for a homemade crotch strap out of 2" soft tubular webbing. Also probably not Hog or DIR.

I do not know if the tubular webbing will fit over shoulder straps for pads. I assume it will. Maybe ask at DiveGearExpress.

PM me if you want to try out soft tubular webbing for crotch strap or shoulder pads. I can post pics and lengths and small hardware that I purchased from DiveGearExpress.

Last edited:
I recently got a backplate and harness setup. I love it. The only thing I wish I had now is a nice shoulder pad. The 2" webbing is so stiff and at first I was concerned about it digging into my neoprene wetsuit. So I ended up buying a shoulder pad for it. Well, its pretty stiff too and now I left some very slight wear marks on my wetsuit. When I cross my arms, I can feel it digging into my arms.

Is the wear on wetsuits typical of this style? If yes, how often do people replace their wetsuit?
Is there a good shoulder pad that will prevent this from happening?

Pads are largely unnecessary, but if you want to try some find an old kids wetsuit (cheap on ebay) and cut off the forearms. That way when you decide you don't really need them you haven't spent much $$.

Tobin

look in walmart in the car section & try some cheapy seat belt pads.

or the solution may be crossing the straps behind your neck, if you haven't trimmed your webbing. if you have narrower shoulders, this might be the fix.

Don't go with thick shoulder pad. It is the reason the webbing/should pad digging into you arm when you cross them. The most I will go with is 2 inches neoprene sleeve, like those on the Dive Rite crotch scrap. But I haven't find it necessart.

I think it is safe to say Neoprene wetsuit is a very tough material in terms of abrasion. You only feel the weight when on land. So unless you put on your rig and walk around a lot, I won't worry about it.

I use the zeagle shoulder pads on my OW BP/Wing combo...and also on my monkey rig. Saves your t-shirt only summertime diving shoulders big time from the stiff webbing.

They just have 3 velcro straps you can put over ANY harness and move it between rigs if you have more than one.

Halcyon webbing strikes a nice balance of comfort and the necessary stiffness.

"Old-ish" thread, but since it has gotten a few new comments, I guess I'll chime in too. Tobin (DSS) sells a "softer" webbing (is a suggested component of the glide system, but available separate).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom