recommendations diving bahamas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife and have just returned home and decided this was the worst trip we have ever had. The island as a whole is VERY EXPENSIVE, South Ocean Beach about the only good thing I can say is it is clean, Stewarts Cove was a zoo 4-5 boats geting ready at the same time one boat left the dock while still tied to it no help from the crew with gear even in a 3-4 swell and under way professional crew !!!. Then the best for last they wraped the anchor chain around a coreal head. Out of 12 divers on the boat ( after a discussion ) not one person tiped. The trip could have been a disaster but after one dive we move to anothe charter called Dive Dive Dive they saved the day and were cheaper.

I'd like to chime in in favor of Andros Island and Small Hope Bay. It was where I did my open water certification back in 1998, and since then I have been diving in Hawaii (Kauai, Maui), Cozumel, and the British Virgin Islands. I still consider Andros to be my most enjoyable dive spot: it is laid back, the food is very good, the comraderie with the other guests is high, and the dive operation is great. The oceanside cottages are rustic and comfortable- you just have to watch out for the falling coconuts on your strolls up to the lodge. Each evening over conch fritters and beer you are told the options for the next day, and they are pretty flexible. The reef is quite extensive and definitely not picked over very much. There is almost nothing else to do on this island, so if you don't miss the cruise ships (I don't- Cozumel had too many of them swarming around, imparting that "cruise ship mall" feel to the place), this is a good spot. I still regret not doing the "Nitrox Special" 190 foot dive they do each week- a few minutes on a shelf hanging over the Tongue of the Ocean getting buzzed, then up you go. Snorkeling off of Sheep island was the best I've ever done: acres of staghorn coral swarming with parrotfish, about a mile off shore- they were willing to dump us off the boat out there, which was an odd feeling (like walking the plank).

Yes it is pricey, but it is a memorable and worthwhile experience I hope to repeat in the future. Everywhere I go I compare to Small Hope Bay, and it still ranks up there for me.

Back
Top Bottom