Recommendation for a whale swim operator in Tonga

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AngryMoth

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all,

I'm hoping to make a trip to Tonga this year to swim with Humpback Whales. Been researching it for a few days and I'm a bit overwhelmed as there's a lot of options and most of the websites don't have much information so I'd love to hear from anyone with first hand experience.

I don't have the money for one of the charters so I'm looking at the day operators, but I don't mind splashing out a bit extra for one with smaller group sizes or better boats.

I can only speak from experience in Vava'u Tonga. In Vava'u they have nothing but small operations. I was there in 2017 and again in 2018. I went with a tour group Aumakua Tours that had all the arrangements made for the charter. typically each boat is only allowed 5 swimmers in the water at a time with the whales, and the guild is one of the five swimmer in the water. If the boat has 8 swimmers on the boat, then the groups are split into two, and you rotate the swims into the water.

Tonga is very strict on the rules and the regulations on what the boat ooperator and dive guild can and cannot do around the humpback whales.

Whale season starts in late June early July, and runs through early November. The high season is late July through end of September. I have been in late August and Later September. I actually preferred the late September trip. The Calves were a little older, more playful and very curious. The moms were less protective, and more relaxed to have the calves investigate more.

The Operator we used for both trips in Vava'u was Tongan Expeditions Dive & Whale Watching. Tongan Expeditions Dive & Whale Watching They are really professional and are very safety conscience for both the divers and the whales.

Good luck, the spots on these boats book fast, and the good operators are booked out sometimes a few years in advanced.

20180929_Baby Humpback-1.jpg

Whale Hunt-96.jpg
20180927_Mum and Calf-1.jpg

Amazing lodge, beautiful location, and excellent hosts. One of my favorite spots in the world!
https://www.matafonua.com/

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom