Recommend Inexpensive Camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kohanbash

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi
I am looking to get an inexpensive camera for diving <130' .

I have little interest in photography, but my wife wants me to take pictures during a couple tropical dives.

Any recommendations for cameras?

Thanks

Hi

I have little interest in photography, but my wife wants me to take pictures during a couple tropical dives.

Thanks

How much is inexpensive? I have a SJ7000 imitation GoPro that cost about $42 from GearBest. It takes decent videos and I just grab a frame for still shots. It probably would not be good if you want to print out the stills bigger than about 6" x 8". I highly recommend using a medium red filter for the Caribbean, and it probably would work for other tropical destinations.

GoPro with a filter would be easy but what do you consider inexpensive? You could also get some great pre owned gopros for much less than a new one, especially if you are okay with not having the latest. You could also take a camera you already have for topside and get a budget housing for it. You could also get some Sea Life camera’s or an Olympus TG series. What’s your budget?

You might consider renting one. Looks like a temp. use for someone not interested in the long term use. This would expected to be far lower in cost than any purchase. You could rent one to take or find out what places in your dive destination have rentals available.

Yes, renting is a good plan most resorts will have one available. GoPro style may be near the bottom of the list,if you want still pictures; OK for videos.

Don't bother. If you don't much want to do it, it'll be an exercise in futility most likely.Most peoples dry land snapshots are more for memories than 'photography', which is fine. But it's WAY harder to even take snapshots underwater.

if you still think you 'gotta', go used. Mid-grade equipment from a couple years ago can be a lot better and easier to use than high end stuff from a decade ago. The downside is wear and tear. One little leak in a case and your camera is garbage, but the same goes for cheap new equipment.

I see no reason, in this situation, to even consider a used camera. The OP doesn't want to do it, and once the wife sees the pix she'll probably decline to ask for more. Rental for one day should suffice.

Get used Canon s-series (s90 to s120) and Canon housing. Being used does not mean the camera is worn out; this only means that the owner upgraded to something more advanced. I used several of these cameras myself and was quite happy. I do not think you can find better quality for the money.

Since you are a beginner and do not sound like you really want to go into it, I do not recommend to buy underwater flash, filters etc etc. Your camera will work colors well in shallow water, especially, on a sunny day, and if you shoot in the deep, just convert into B/W. If the water is reasonably clean, you can shoot macro using camera's built-in flash.

After your trip, you can decide if you like it or not.

Hi

Thanks

I have a SeaLife 1400 (current version is 2000). It is compact, easy to point and shoot. While it is a camera/housing set, we've quit using it for surface shots as my Galaxy takes better land shots.

I have posted some recent shots in a Cabo thread, if you are interested.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom