Recommend Fiji or Bali for January?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Greetings All,
I'm new to this forum so your expertise is appreciated. I'm a vacational diver (been certified for years but have only dived 5 times). I have vacation for two weeks in January of 2018 and am considering a week-long trip somewhere special. Between Bali or Fiji which would you recommend based on your experience at both places? Or if you would recommend somewhere different over those two places? Advice is much appreciated. Thanks.

Chris Deviney

both have very good diving, but bali can be a lot cheaper. if you going solo and looking to get a lot of dives in for the money, bali or puerta galera in the philippines. fiji has the edge if you are bringing a non diving SO.

I've never been to Fiji, but it's on the list.

I was in Bali for 4 short days last month. It was AMAZING and I can't wait to get back. Great diving, I dove with Geko out of Padangbai. Tons to do and see topside. Very affordable, once you're there. I have a great drive, if you decide to go drop me a line and I'll connect you. He's a partner with Cedric from Geko.

Post in the location specific forum to get more info on the weather at that time. Both are great places. Probably more to do in Bali just because of the geographic spread of Fiji. Note lots of people visit Bali for Xmas/New Years but probably gone after New Years. Fiji is closer for you (11 hours from Lax compared to like 20 hours to get to Bali) but probably more expensive to fly to.

Just read you have 5 dives. Either place can have challenging currents so ask about that when choosing when/where to dive. For any current diving, the key is to be in at least reasonable aerobic shape. You're not supposed to try to fin into the current but it can happen so you want to be in decent, or better, shape so you can pump for a while.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom