Recommend beginner digital camera for use with housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mtbr

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm in the market for a compact digital camera that I can also be used with an underwater housing. My budget for the camera alone is in the $400 range. The primary requisite for the camera has to be small and compact for normal usage other than underwater.

What are some recommendations out there?

Thank you for your help.

Well... I use a Nikon L3 and the appropriate Fantasea housing... (I'm sure they're still making the L3... but Fantasea makes housings for a number of Nikon and Cannon and Olympus. They also make a fairly cost reasonable range of accessories for them.

You'll hear pros and cons about most any entry level system... but the cost is good and the Fantasea systems work... I've used mine for about 2 years now... haven't had the pleasure of a system flood (yet)... but haven't had any problems with the setup.

... there are a lot of options... in a lot of price ranges. This is one area though where I personally feel you pretty much get what you pay for...

... oh... I don't know about all of their cases... but the ONE thing I wish Fantasea would change on their cases (or would have on the one for the L3) is to install a button for the ability to turn the camera on and off. As it it, I have to turn the camera on with a 30 min "auto-off" and then take a picture every now and then to keep it going... on a pair of long boat dives you sometime have to remember your camera is floating in the soak tank... and snap a picture... or you have to go through the process of drying the case off... opening it... turning the camera back on... ... you get the picture.

Having an on/off switch is a good thing... and bring extra batteries.

I have a Canon 710IS (which was replaced by the 720IS) and the canon housing, and it works decent underwater (for a two battery point & shoot that is) and on good on land. Its video mode is OK as well.

There are better, but you can get the whole rig for that $400.

There are a pile of systems out there and it all depends on what you want to eventually be able to do. I would suggest to keep your options open as far as being able to add on to your system - I started off with a Sea&Sea 860G and just the housing. I then added one and later a 2nd strobe. I now have a wide angle lens for it as well. However I am limited on different shooting options/features which means that if I want to keep progressing in my photography I will have to eventually start over again and spend even more money. So evaluate how much u/w photography you plan on doing and what you want to do with the pictures.

I have a Canon 710IS (which was replaced by the 720IS) and the canon housing, and it works decent underwater (for a two battery point & shoot that is) and on good on land. Its video mode is OK as well.

There are better, but you can get the whole rig for that $400.

Ditto. I have the 720is with the Canon case. You can get this rig for $400.00. Here's a couple of sample pics:

french.jpg

yellowtail.jpg

Sport Diver magazine did an article recently on poit and shoot cameras (look under "Gear" section. The article covers all the major cameras for point-shoot scuba.

If you are looking for a solid performer the Olympus Stylus 1030 SW (10.1 megapixels) is strong and reasonably priced at around $350. I used one a few months ago in Caymans and it turned out some great photos. The camera out of the box is rated for 30 feet without a housing (ie stick it in your pocket and go snorkling or kayaking). Put it in a housing and attached an added flach and your ready to go south of 30 feet.

Within your budget, I would definitely look at the Nikon P5100 (the new P6000 is coming out soon). Housings for these cameras are (and will be) available from Ikelite, Fantasea and Fisheye

I have had the Olympus Sp-350 and now have an Olympus 1030sw for P&S. Keep in mind, the SP-350 was a little bigger, but it had full manual operation which is important for better underwater use. If you are just a casual shooter though, I would say the Olympus 1030sw is a very good option. You can get it for $300 from B&H and Olympus makes a housing for it to go beyond the 30' depth the camera is rated for as stated above.

Another huge advantage is this camera is very durable. It can handle being dropped, and can even handle over 200 pounds of someone standing on the camera. Also, when it is in the housing, it will be virtually flood proof because if the housing leaks, the camera is water proof also. Not many cameras can say that.

The 1030 Sw and the newer 1050Sw are very nice cameras, and definitely durable. I have a 1030 that I take as my topside camera so I dont have to worry about dropping it or getting it wet. Both Olympus and Ike make housings for it.

The 1030 Sw and the newer 1050Sw are very nice cameras, and definitely durable. I have a 1030 that I take as my topside camera so I dont have to worry about dropping it or getting it wet. Both Olympus and Ike make housings for it.

The 1050SW is newer.. but the specs on it for underwater and durability are not nearly as good as the 1030SW. In fact, I would call the 1050SW just a less espensive alternative to the 1030SW.. Just something to keep in mind.

Back
Top Bottom