Recommend a small LED light for OW diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bamabowtie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I need a small LED light to clip to my harness for OW diving for when I need to see in hole, under a ledge etc. I'm not looking to break the bank but I don't want to buy junk either.

Try this one: metal case, very small, very bright, will last 3 dives between battery changes unless you leave it on all the time. Penetrater-220

I'll second the Dorcy. I have 4, yes 4, of them. Mine are the 180's though. Great back ups, clear water primaries, or for student use. I had 5 but gave one to my GF because I wanted her to have a light she could depend on.

Thank guys! I'm going with the Dorcy. Any tips on how to attach this particular light to my D-ring on my harness? I am assuming a SS double ender but how do you clip to the light?

Make sure there are no sharp edges on the hole in the base, then follow these directions- works great!
Attaching a boltsnap

Double enders do not work well for back up lights. Instead a bolt snap is the way to go, and stainless non the less, not brass. They can be had from a good dive shop or some hardware stores like Lowes stock stainless.
How to Attach a Snap - Dive Gear Express

To keep the bottom of the light in place we use bicycle inner tube material cut into about 3/4" wide then installed over the harness of the shoulder straps. The light then stays tight to the body.

You can also get a light sock for something like an Oxycheq light that will hold the Dorcy nicely on your hand. The Raider I light sock fits perfect.
OxyCheq Raider Light Sock discounts on sale OxyCheq

I'm also in need of a similar light and have been looking at the Intova (either Ultra Torch or compact). Any preferences for the Dorcy 220 vs the Intova lights: they both look like high quality lights so perhaps just personal preferance.

I do like the lumen output and Amazon price on the Dorcy. Thanks

How is the angle of view on these lights? I've been looking for a decent wide angle, tropical night diving light. From what I can see, the Princeton Tec Torrent is decent.

Piranha sells a soft handle for the Dorcy: Soft Low Rider Handle for Penetrator, Hog or Mini Deep Star Light, Piranha Dive Manufacturing

I went to Home Depot and bought a small plated quick link - the smallest one they sell fits through the hole drilled in the back of the light. Like this but much smaller: http://www.piranhadivemfg.com/item/Quick-Link-1-3-8-92

Attached it to the included tether - you could also use a boltsnap. I don't like using cave line where one of the surfaces is slightly sharp. Piranha includes some cave line if you buy from them but the light is currently priced at $52 on their site.

Back
Top Bottom