Recommend a dive torch that is permanently sealed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ssssnake529

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Looking to buy a dive torch.

I want one that is permanently sealed with external charging. I don't want to have to unscrew anything or deal with o-rings or removable batteries when I am charging it.

The Apeks Luna line of torches fits the bill, but before I buy one, I thought I would ask the hive mind for other recommendations.

The trade-off for a sealed torch is you are stuck with the original batteries which will lose capacity over time.

Percentage-capacity-loss-versus-time-for-18650-lithium-ion-cell-Sandia-at-25C-35C.png

Percentage capacity loss versus time for 18650 lithium ion cell (Sandia) at 25°C, 35°C, 45°C, and 55°C. - source https://www.researchgate.net/public...tudy_Capacity_Fading_in_Lithium_Ion_Batteries

@lowwall , it's not obvious to me how that study dealt with charging or storage between measurements. Do you happen to know? My own casual tests on my 18650s don't show the same 10% loss in 14 months (room temp).

It's a fair point that capacity does degrade. At some point, a factory replacement WILL be needed.

@lowwall , it's not obvious to me how that study dealt with charging or storage between measurements. Do you happen to know? My own casual tests on my 18650s don't show the same 10% loss in 14 months (room temp).

It's a fair point that capacity does degrade. At some point, a factory replacement WILL be needed.
I've looked at this before and the numbers are all over the place. The only things that everyone agrees on is that you will lose capacity over time, even with moderate or no use, and several factors result in faster capacity loss including number of discharge cycles, high temperature, and keeping the battery in a fully charged state.

I think you are discarding a lot of good options in pursuit of a feature that just about nobody cares about (except you and a few marketing people who are looking for the next gimmick to justify something new but not necessary better).

I have a couple of lights with basically the same specs as the Apex Luna Mini except for the sealed battery compartment. They cost under $60 each, instead of $310 for the Luna. I've never flooded one, but I could go through quite a few and still be ahead.

I have a couple of lights with basically the same specs as the Apex Luna Mini except for the sealed battery compartment. They cost under $60 each, instead of $310 for the Luna. I've never flooded one, but I could go through quite a few and still be ahead.
# of o-rings? link?

Take a look at Nanight lights with the external charge port. They aren't permanently sealed - you can still open and remove the batteries, repair or upgrade. But for normal operation, the lights never need to be opened.
Interesting but equally expensive.

Handheld Dive Lights

300 and 600, one each for total of $89.00 + couple of respective O-rings.

Handheld Dive Lights

300 and 600, one each for total of $89.00 + couple of respective O-rings.

OP was asking for lights that can be charged without removing the battery. Those lights are cheap (OP didn't specify a budget, and Nanight are in the same price bracket as the Luna lights) and the torch needs to be opened and batteries removed to be charged.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom