Recommandation DM course Philippines/Indonesia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gengis_-

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm currently on long term travel and plan to do my divemaster in a couple of months either in the Philippines or Indonesia (Bali or Gili since it will be February).

I've read a couple of topics about people doing their divemaster in Southeast Asia and know this quickly turns into a debate. To put it short :

- I love diving. I've been diving on vacations from time to time since I was 15 (I'm now 31) and I feel great underwater.
- I think I barely total 50 dives and would like to dive day in day out for some time in order to really improve my basic skills and sensations, invest in some equipment and so on.
- I've quit my job to travel and really enjoy it. So I think I might be ready for some lifestyle change. This might in the future, include working in the diving industry. Although I'm not quite sure it would suit me since it's basically being a commercial.
- I also think it's the right time to do it since I'm in Southeast Asia right now and could do it for an affordable price. I also have the time and mindset to do it right now.

As such I think doing my divemaster would make sense because I would dive a lot, learn more theory (even if I understand correctly most of it is not diving theory but how to lead the group and handle the divers), supposedly have an instructor to look up to for improving myself and be able to get a taste of what diving is as job instead of a hobby. I would plan to do this over two to three months and I'm looking for a good place to do it. Focus on the quality of the course and the instructor. So my question is quite simple :

Which place and instructor would you recommend in the Philippines or Indonesia ?

And if I ask you it's because there's no way for me to evaluate the quality of a diveshop or instructor. I know some things are quite obvious for people with 1000+ dives but I'm not there yet.

Peace.

It sounds like you have really thought this through....well done !

My hubby and I have done 200 to 300 dives each in the Philippines and Indonesia. If it was me I would consider the following Komodo , southern Leyte, Lembongan near Bali , Bali, the Gili Islands , Malapascua or Dumaguete.

Have a wonderful trip.

Scuba Junkies in Komodo has a top notch program and the diving is da bomb

Hey guys. Thanks for your replies. I'll check those locations. But do you have specific DC and instructors to recommend ?

I did my Divemaster and IDC in Malapascua, Philippines. Loved every minute. Thresher Shark Divers were great at balancing a love of diving and working with all the instructors, which allowed me to see a variety of instruction styles.

I did my Divemaster and IDC in Malapascua, Philippines. Loved every minute. Thresher Shark Divers were great at balancing a love of diving and working with all the instructors, which allowed me to see a variety of instruction styles.

Hey thanks for your feedback. Could you tell me how was life on Malapascua, when you did it, the size of groups etc ? The more I research the more I think I'll go for Philippines and either Cebu or Dumaguete.

Well... starting with when, I was there for June-July. So it was the beginning of low season. At that time, life on the island was great for me. Plenty of dive shops with regular staff, many customers and plenty of courses being offered, but not super busy and over touristy. So the night life isn't very busy, but there is a 24 hour bar and there are parties celebrating people who completed courses and such. I found it relaxed and fun at the same time. When I started one other guy started his DM as well, plus there was one girl who was in the middle of her DM. When she left another girl started...so basically 3 DM candidates at the same time. I hear this is more during peak season. But I got to work with almost all of the instructors at one time or another. Malapascua is just a 30 min boar ride north of Cebu.

Thanks ! Could you tell me how much you paid in total for your stay ? And how long you stayed ?

I was just diving with Blue Marlin in Komodo. I can highly recommend their DM program, though I personally/professionally know the Instructors running it, Doug and Vero, and the diving is incredible. I've no idea on costs so you'll need to contact them direct.

Back
Top Bottom