Recomendations on Hard case for DC 1000

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Boat L.I.

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Looking to pickup a hard case for my DC 1000. I'm not planning on adding on strobes for some time if ever as I'm just getting into uw photography. What size Pelican case would be best for the camera and necessary accessories?

I would say either the Pelican 1200 or 1300 should do the job depending on how many accessories you would be adding.

Adding a single strobe would be a better investment than the case though. The most important thing in getting great u/w shots is by far light and for that reason anyone in photography will recommend a strobe.

I would ask around and speak with some u/w photo educators and see what they have to say. if you can make it to Beneath the Sea, Beneath The Sea, I would recommend sitting in on some of the seminars there on U/W photography expecially the Cathy Church strobe seminar on Sunday.

If you have anymore questions, I would be happy to help out.

Thanks for the info! So if I did go for a single strobe which case would then be best?

One option is a handgun hardcase. Less expensive than other hardcase options. Check out suitable sporting goods stores.

If you are definitely looking for a hard case, then there are quite a few options. But to be honest, I find it easier to pack all into the case that coems with our Digital Pro Flash, item#SL961. This is a softsided case but has enough room for my camera, flash w/a lense, all my perihpherals and a video light I have rigged on another flash arm. It is more compact and lighter than a hard case and tucks into my BC in my gear bag when I am traveling.

If you are definitely looking for a hard case, then there are quite a few options. But to be honest, I find it easier to pack all into the case that coems with our Digital Pro Flash, item#SL961. This is a softsided case but has enough room for my camera, flash w/a lense, all my perihpherals and a video light I have rigged on another flash arm. It is more compact and lighter than a hard case and tucks into my BC in my gear bag when I am traveling.
OK I followed your advice and picked up a SL961 in St. Thomas (for 30% less than anywhere else). The yellow case that came with it fit everything but what do you suggest for padding? Some of the smaller items slide around.

Two options here: 1) I use one of the puches that came withe camera for all the little widgets such as memory cards, spare batteries, etc. 2) a small otter box can keep the smaller stuff together as well as storig spare moisture munchers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom