Recomendations needed - Science of Diving (Physics, physiology, etc)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

David Novo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
As I am currently confined to my home, with no water in the end of the tunnel, I am looking for good resources to increase my knowledge on the physics, physiology, etc related to diving.

I did my GUE fundamentals last year and read both "Fundamentals of Better Diving" and "Beginning with the End in Mind" included in the fundies package. I am currently half-way through "Fundamentals of Technical Diving" (I do not intend to go beyond rec diving but there is a lot more detail on the science side of diving in this book) and I am looking for recommendations on where to go from here regarding readings on this topic.

Any suggestions?

P.S.: Does SSI Science of Diving offer more detail than these books?

I'm currently reading Deco for Divers by Mark Powell. It's an excellent book, available online for around $30-40. The book is almost entirely content related to the physiology of diving, with a particular focus on how oxygen and nitrogen (+other inert gases) flow through the body with respect to ambient pressure change, and how the body reacts to these changes. There is a lot of detail, but the book is quite accessible to a layperson such as myself. Despite the title, it is very useful whether you want to get into deco stop diving or not -- ALL diving involves both compression and decompression, whether you have deco ceilings or not.

I have not read the fundies books you mentioned, so can't tell you how much Powell's book will overlap with those. Perhaps someone else can chime in there.

I found Deco for Divers to be pretty good. Decent discussion of the history of decompression algorithms and research behind them. Could use some editing, but I'm kind of a grammar nazi. Some of the images are very pixelated, like they were low-res internet scrapes blown up to fit a place in the book. I was also really miffed that literally the first time I opened the book, pages 7-14 fell out completely. I prefer "real" books to e-books, but I kind of regret the money spent on this one due to the lack of physical quality. The information is worth the price, but I'd rather pay the same price for a digital copy that's good forever, rather than a crap quality physical copy that literally fell apart on day one.

Content-wise: good book, very information dense.
Quality (both physical and editing): 2/5 stars.

Edit: Brett posted while I was typing, so I second what he said!

As I am currently confined to my home, with no water in the end of the tunnel, I am looking for good resources to increase my knowledge on the physics, physiology, etc related to diving.

I did my GUE fundamentals last year and read both "Fundamentals of Better Diving" and "Beginning with the End in Mind" included in the fundies package. I am currently half-way through "Fundamentals of Technical Diving" (I do not intend to go beyond rec diving but there is a lot more detail on the science side of diving in this book) and I am looking for recommendations on where to go from here regarding readings on this topic.

Any suggestions?

P.S.: Does SSI Science of Diving offer more detail than these books?

I've read the SSI Science of Diving (it's a speciality needed to certify as SSI DCS) and what I can say is that I was expecting more of such a title.
I've also read Deco for Divers and Deep into Deco. Deco for Divers is an excellent book, easy to read and to understand. Deep into Deco resulted, to me, more or less confusing and messy.
Deco for Divers is specific to the mechanics of gases and decompression. Science of Diving is a general book related to diving with a lot more subjects but somewhat superficial treatment. You will find the same subjects seen in OWD and AOWD, but with a little more detail and depth.
Of course, read as much as you can. If you can access all of them, even better. If you have to choose, Deco for Divers is in first place, second Science of Diving and third, far, Deep into Deco.

Further more, Scuba Physiological: Think You Know All About Scuba Medicine? Think again! by Simon Pridmore can also be included in the list, related specifically to Physiology.

Of course there are some other books related to scuba physiology and science of scuba, but I have not read them.

On another topic (safety and decision making), Steve Lewis (Doppler on here) has two books out (I've only read the six skills one), Staying Alive looks like it is a Kindle option. Under Pressure by Gareth Lock would also be a good option.

-Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom