Rechargeable Battery Recall March 2013

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Peter69_56

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Having purchased an XEO second hand from ebay and have the original owners name and the details of the computer. I think the computer is just out of warranty, am I entitled to claim on the charger and battery I received as part of the system?

Having purchased an XEO second hand from ebay and have the original owners name and the details of the computer. I think the computer is just out of warranty, am I entitled to claim on the charger and battery I received as part of the system?

I would say, most definitely. Safety recalls are different from warranty issues. This is a product liability exposure...

Scott is right - anyone who currently has any rechargeable batteries (GREEN sleeve) and chargers is invited to participate in the recall. Please fill in the claim form online:

http://liquivision.com/battery-recall.php

You can either submit a proof of purchase (such as a receipt) OR send us a picture of the batteries/chargers before you dispose of them. Include your dive computer with the serial number visible in the picture, so we can make sure they are yours.

Regards
Margaret Malewski
CEO, Liquivision Products, Inc

Can you give me a recommendation on what do do while I wait for the replacement battery. my dealer specifically sold me on the rechargeable batteries because Living in Alaska getting the special standard batteries will be a hassle. I noticed that you are quoting 30 days for the replacement can you give me any ideas besides just not using my computer for a month. I know you have a lot on the table with this recall but 30days seem like a long time to get this done You should be able to look my order up and confirm my purchase and I have already completed the recall form and sent the picture. Will you be sending a confirmation that you are processing my recall? As I am sure you can imagine the prospect of not having my computer for a month is not very appealing to me

I was most impressed that a recall would be started before a complete investigation showed that it was a materials issue. I also can not believe that 3 people would try to charge the disposable batteries and not understand why they would blow up. I am bummed that I jumped on the recall as quickly as I did because now I have no batteries and am waiting for the replacements to be sent out when I did not even need to change them out.

[h=3]Liquivision Battery Recall is Now OPTIONAL.[/h]
NEW EVIDENCE
Liquivision has received additional information about the exact context of the incidents involving the explosion of rechargeable batteries and chargers.
Every explosion incident involved customers charging:
a BLUE, disposable, ONE-use battery (ER 17335M) together with
a GREEN, rechargeable, MULTI-use battery (ICR 16340)
The picture below clearly shows how the BLUE battery has exploded, while the GREEN battery is still whole, although a bit burned and damaged from the neighbouring explosion. You can also see that the charger is damaged on the side where the BLUE battery was charged and then exploded:
tumblr_inline_mkamkcK8QR1qz4rgp.jpg

CONCLUSIONS
1) Charging a disposable BLUE ER17335M battery will ALWAYS result in an explosion. Customers should NEVER charge a BLUE ER17335M disposable battery. This is marked on the battery, on our website and in our user manual.
2) Liquivision now deems that the GREEN ICR 16340 rechargeable batteries and chargers are safe for continued use, as long as they are used properly (i.e. ONLY GREEN ICR 16340 rechargeable batteries are recharged).
Next Steps For Customers
Customers who have filed claims with Liquivision for a replacement of their GREEN ICR 16340 batteries and Power-Plus chargers will have their claims honoured, unless they email us to cancel their request.
Customers who still feel concerned about the GREEN ICR 16340 batteries and Power-Plus chargers may file a claim until April 30, 2013.
Next Steps For Liquivision
Since the safety of our customers was a primary consideration, Liquivision discontinued sales of GREEN ICR 16340 Lithium-Ion (Cobalt) batteries and Power-Plus chargers prior to obtaining full evidence about the causes of the explosions. As we researched alternative battery options, we identified Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePo4) rechargeable batteries and chargers as an even better solution. Research shows LiFePo4 chemistry to be even more stable than Li-Ion (Cobalt):
Lithium iron phosphate battery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Additionally, while the LiFePo4 rechargeable batteries offer slightly lower dive time than the lithium-ion (cobalt) ones, they are capable of more charge cycles. For this reason, we will proceed with LiFePo4 batteries as our rechargeable batteries of choice.
IMPORTANT: the new LiFePo4 rechargeable batteries must be charged in a LiFePo4 charger. The GREEN ICR 16340 Lithium-Ion (Cobalt) batteries must be charged in a Lithium-Ion (Cobalt) charger, such as the Power-Plus M123A charger they shipped with. Do NOT mix the battery chemistries/chargers as this could damage battery performance.

Margaret Malewski
CEO, Liquivision Products, Inc

Back
Top Bottom