Recently moved to Florida and looking to explore the Caribbean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

INFimae

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I recently relocated to the east coast of Florida. Given the proximity to the treasure coast, the keys, and the rest of the caribbean and latin america, I figure this would be a perfect time to learn how to scuba dive and start exploring this new part of the world! I've signed up for a PADI OW class in July and am stoked to get into spearfishing, lobster diving, and wreck diving.

Anybody on this board living in Florida interested in meeting me or traveling to the caribbean? Once I get certified I will begin planning trips to places like Cozumel, Roatan Bay, Little Cayman, Costa Rica, etc. Open to traveling with any enthusiasts who want to travel and see the underwater world!

Don't forget the Bahamas, just SE from you. There's even dive boats from Florida that regularly cross over on weekend trips. Even the Ft. Lauderdale Ferry, it will get you to Grand Bahama. The Theo is a great wreck once you have more experience and UNEXSO does both shark and dolphin dives. On Nassau Stuart Cove's dives at least a dozen wrecks. Some real, some movie sets.

Also you're a couple hours north of really good diving in Jupiter, West Palm and Hollywood/Ft. Lauderdale. Blue Heron Bridge is an easy shore dive in that area. So popular with divers that parking is often a problem. You'd likely have no problem finding buddies in our Florida forum once you're certified. And don't forget the Keys, lots of shallow and wreck diving there. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/florida-diving/

We just call it Roatan - it's a Bay Island.

welcome! Just started diving here as well. I'm in Jupiter. Get yourself certified, then sign up for a few drift dive trips. I go from Jupiter Dive Center and have made connections on every dive with fellow divers. Don't be afraid to do those trips even if you don't know anyone to go with. You can stick with the Dive Master and you will meet people to go with next time.

Those are some great suggestions diversteve. I will be definitely have to check out the bahamas but, it is great to hear there are lots of diving options here in Florida! I live about 2 hours away from Jupiter and Ft Lauderdale so perhaps I can simply come and dive for a weekend without having to use up any of my vacation time - that would be aweomse.

We just call it Roatan - it's a Bay Island.

Noted. I've been there before and I can't wait to go back once I've been certified and have my gear. Any suggestions on where to get gear, especially used gear? I hear there are some dive shops/outlets in South Florida that sell equipment for low prices.

---------- Post added June 11th, 2015 at 01:09 PM ----------

welcome! Just started diving here as well. I'm in Jupiter. Get yourself certified, then sign up for a few drift dive trips. I go from Jupiter Dive Center and have made connections on every dive with fellow divers. Don't be afraid to do those trips even if you don't know anyone to go with. You can stick with the Dive Master and you will meet people to go with next time.

that sounds awesome, I'll definitely try diving out of the dive center in Jupiter. I'll post here when I'm planning to go - I'm not too far away from you, maybe we'll run into each other on one of these dives!

Back
Top Bottom