Recent Cocos Tiger Shark information, please.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

peeweediver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Besides the very unfortunately fatality from a Tiger shark attack 4 months ago, has anyone visited Cocos Island in the last three months and observed or heard of any additional unusual Tiger shark activity? We have heard a few dribs and drabs that more aggressive behavior has occurred from a Tiger or two since the fatal attack. We are unable to definitively confirm anything we have heard, but have also not received definitive information to the contrary from operators. Has anyone been there recently and experienced or heard anything about this?
Thank you for any honest information you can provide.

I’m currently returning from a trip out there on the Okeanos II. We saw a few big tigers but they ignored us. Still no night diving though.

I’m currently returning from a trip out there on the Okeanos Ii. We saw a few big tigers but they ignored us. Still no night diving though.
Did you do more day dives to make up for the loss of night dives?

Yes, we replaced two of the former three night dives. Water was warm, seas flat, but less big guys than my May trip. The next visit will be in July/August.

Yes, we replaced two of the former three night dives. Water was warm, seas flat, but less big guys than my May trip. The next visit will be in July/August.
I did Cocos last March/April, doing Galapagos this year April/May, I look forward to the comparison

One of our instructors was out there over the past couple of weeks. Saw a few tigers and no signs of aggresison. Just some great diving they said

I’ll be there in September, so I’m interested in following this thread.

Besides doing away with night dives, are there changes in water entry & exit procedures?

Besides doing away with night dives, are there changes in water entry & exit procedures?

Not on the Okeanos II. There was quite a bit more emphasis on staying together in the area where the tigers hang out. The DMs are carrying steel rods on their tanks which I guess could be used to deflect a pass by a shark in a pinch.

Any word on whether the loss of the night dives is permanent, temporary or 'to be determined?'

Anyone remember what time of day/night the fatal attack took place? I went through about 12 pages in the thread on the fatality discussion and it didn't look like it was known by the point.

Richard.

We were told, "to be determined", on the night dive restriction. The attack was a day time attack, just not sure exact time. When we did do the night dives last trip, over a year ago, we were told that if we saw a Tiger on the night dive, we would ascend, get on the panga and leave.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom