Reccs for January Dive Trip in Caribbean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BarnBrat

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi folks,

Fairly experienced divers here looking for recommendations for a January dive trip in the Caribbean. The main dilemma is we would like to go somewhere new and we have already been to many of the popular destinations. Here is a list of where we have already been loosely organized with favorite places first: Raja Ampat, Cozumel, Bonaire (these are our favorites, with several repeat trips each), Grand Bahama, Roatan, Grand Cayman, Belize (Ambergris).

A brief description of what we look for in a trip: Healthy fishy coral reefs, Warm water (80ish degrees and up), at least a few beach bars and restaurants with decent food and maybe some fun live music. Other topside activities are a nice bonus but we are mainly there for the diving.

We are currently considering Utila but I have mixed info on water temps that time of year, so if anyone has any input on that matter as well that would be great.

Many thanks in advance!

Water temps do drop a bit by Jan-Feb, especially more northern Caribbean spots, and you can get some snarky weather. Further south stays warmer like you would expect and I would expect Utila to stay pretty warm. Curacao would also be a good place to consider.

A little further off the beaten path look at St Vincent or Bequia - more difficult to get to, but air service to St Vincent has improved with the new airport, and you can take the ferry from there to Bequia and hit 2 places if you have time.

My one tropical dive trip to Panama was OK. Reefs OK. Nice shells, some fish. It was with Panama Divers in Portobelo. Basic café type food--burgers, fish. "Hotel" there run by them (not exactly 5 star). $100 for 2 tank boat. That was in 2011 Jan.
Water temp. 76F.

St. Croix is a nice option. There is good diving, warm water, and fun things to do topside - and the Fredricksted Pier is an outstanding shore dive.

I have encountered cold water (low to mid 70s) in Florida and the Bahamas in the winter months but Cayman averages around 80-82 degrees F in January - it gets warmer in the summer and fall but it is not bad in the winter.

Since you have already been to Grand Cayman you might consider Cayman Brac or Little Cayman for the next trip.

The Clearly Cayman resorts are offering a Holiday Travel Special through Jan 18, 2020 - see the links below; with other packages available during the winter season.

There is more stuff to do topside on Brac than on LC but it is mostly "enjoy nature" activities like hiking, biking, caving, kayaking, etc.

Good luck finding a spot that works for you!

https://www.caymanbracbeachresort.com/dive-packages/2019-holiday-travel-special/

https://www.littlecayman.com/dive-packages/2019-holiday-travel-special/

Clearly Cayman

Curacao Trip Research Notes
Curacao Trip Report with SB Surge Jan. 2019

St. Croix Research Report Aug. 2017 - St. Croix Research Report Aug. 2017

You know, the water might be cooler and I don't know the sea conditions, but that's around the time of year I think I've heard lemon sharks aggregate in the Jupiter, Florida region, so if you would like to dive with them without shark feeding, it'd be a lot different than your usual dive trip. If you're open to shark feed diving, then the time window opens up considerably, and so does the range of species.

Richard.

Warm water (80ish degrees and up), at least a few beach bars and restaurants with decent food

Listing a few places I've been that time of year that should meet the temp and bar/restaurant request. Others will have to respond to fill in the blanks.

St Croix: Water temps 80º to low 80's. Diving is good also - reef, wrecks, wall, and famous pier as boat or shore dive. Can also find some topside activities. The ocean terrain is so different from the west side to the north side of the island.

Costa Rica: Only dove the Pacific side, but think the Caribbean side would also be as warm - low 80's. Can't vouch for the diving but the topside activities are endless.

Antigua: Great weather, beautiful beach's, and water temps in low 80's. Some coral and some reef - not like GC, Coz, or St. Croix. There are a lot of sites. Topside activities could include a day trip to Montserrat which we really enjoyed. Similar to Grand Bahama.

Puerto Rico: water low 80's, but again, I only dove on the NE side of island which was nothing special. The SW side can be good from what I've read here on SB. Old San Juan and El Yunque Rainforest for topside activities.

Aruba: Only been in June but understand the water temps to be in low 80's in January. Drift diving along the reef and a few good wrecks.

St. Maarten: If you dive along the southern coast from east to west there is some variety - reef and wrecks - again not like GC, Coz, or St. Croix. Water temps 79ºish in Jan. Similar to Grand Bahama.

I will be on a Caribbean cruise in January and plan to dive on St. Kitts and St Thomas. Haven't been to either, but my research shows temps may be 79ºish when we are there.

If you're looking for something different or a break from the usual, I would put St. Croix up with some of better places in the Caribbean - just my opinion. Have fun in choosing a spot.

Hi folks,

Fairly experienced divers here looking for recommendations for a January dive trip in the Caribbean. The main dilemma is we would like to go somewhere new and we have already been to many of the popular destinations. Here is a list of where we have already been loosely organized with favorite places first: Raja Ampat, Cozumel, Bonaire (these are our favorites, with several repeat trips each), Grand Bahama, Roatan, Grand Cayman, Belize (Ambergris).

A brief description of what we look for in a trip: Healthy fishy coral reefs, Warm water (80ish degrees and up), at least a few beach bars and restaurants with decent food and maybe some fun live music. Other topside activities are a nice bonus but we are mainly there for the diving.

We are currently considering Utila but I have mixed info on water temps that time of year, so if anyone has any input on that matter as well that would be great.

Many thanks in advance!

Since you are looking for some place new for a January trip, just an FYI that the Scubaboard Surge has just announced that they still have 2 rooms available for their January trip to Little Cayman, see the link below:

https://www.scubaboard.com/community/posts/8775810/

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom