Rec/jacket style bcd vs bp/w bcd for the IE?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oregondiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hey instructors!

I was given some advice yesterday by another DM who said he heard that PADI would mark you down if you use a tech style bcd for the IE.

I have been diving a bp/w for the past 7 years (but i also dove a jacket style for 7 years prior). The reasoning sounds valid (you want to look like the padi videos). I love my system/setup but considering using a loaner rig for the test.

Granted my system is a weight harness and not a belt so i know I would need to use a weight belt for the testing.

Thoughts? Anything else i need to consider changing for the IE?

There were several in my IE with wings and none were marked down. Now it is not as easy to remove for your rescue 7 for your partner so you may have to deal with him/her on that one.

Just out of curiosity, what does "IE" stand for?

Instructor Examination

Any skill that involves putting on/taking off the BC is often harder in a BP/W.....the floppy harness, etc. Also, if your students have the typical BCD, you can't demonstrate loosening the shoulder straps if you have a one-piece harness. So it depends a bit on your skills and on your rig.

Don't shoot yourself in the foot....make the IE easy and fun, not a struggle. You won't get marked down unless your demonstration skills are crappy....and that might depend on your equipment. But the mark-down is because of your demo, not the equipment.

What tursiops wrote. I dive a BP/W but when teaching in confined water (that is, when I have to demonstrate something) I'm using a "standard" BC (actually a back inflate). The demos are just easier -- even if I've put my student into a BP.

Thanks. Definitely something to think about. I use a single piece of webbing for my harness so can't losen (or open) any buckles since I don't use any. Just my belt release for the harness around waist. Appreciate the responses in helping me make decisions on gear that will allow me to be successful in teaching and IE.

For the BP/W person, they still have to do all of the same skill demonstrations and rescue scenarios, so it should be a no brainer for them to get in and out of their gear with demonstration quality.

The only potential problem is when that person is playing the role of a victim in the rescue scenarios. You don't want to mess up your fellow classmates and some of them might not be familiar with BP/W and how to get someone out of it (assuming no quick releases). During the IDC, we had one person in a BP/W, and he was never selected to be the victim for gear removal. During the IE, if he was the victim, I would be the rescuer and cut him out of it. We purchased additonal webbing just in case. We also worked with the other candidates and shuffled the order so once again he was never the victim anyway.

Back
Top Bottom