Rec for Dive resort- have special needs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

suzblues

Reaction score
My husband and I are going to Cozumel in mid September and have been looking for a resort to meet both of our needs with no luck! Our situation is that I am pregnant and my husband wants to dive as much as possible. We are looking for a place where I will still be able to have some fun, such as easy access to snorkeling, a nice pool and/or beach with nice surroundings, and easy access to food so that I don't have to go into town to get a meal.
The dive resorts seem to cater to divers, but don't seem to have many ammenities at the resort, since they expect you to be diving all day. We were looking at the Allegro Grand Cozumel, but then I saw recent reviews saying the food was horrible and everyone got sick. We'd love to stay at the Presidente Inter-Continential, but don't think we can afford it.
We just want a nice place where we don't have to worry about getting sick, where my husband can dive to his heart's content, I can still enjoy myself, and we can have fun as a couple since this is our last vacation without kids. (Also a place where the staff are helpful in case we had some sort of medical emergency.) Any recommendations?

You might check out Plaza Las Glorias.

I stayed at Brisas in June and enjoyed it so much I'm going back in Aug. It's reasonably priced, you can pick either the European plan (meals/drinks not included except breakfast--comes with all rooms) or the All inclusive plans (meals/drinks included) so there would be no problem when you get those pregnant munchies. :) There is a HUGE pool at the hotel and a nice-sized hot tub, and their beach club across the street is VERY nice with tons of loungers, a small pool and a restaurant/bar. There is easy access to the water via wide steps with a handrail for snorkeling along with a "natural jacuzzi" with a sitting beach carved out of the rock. There is a dock for dive boat pickup and although I didn't shore dive, my friends did and said it was pretty decent. They have a dive shop right there at the beach club, Dive Paradise, or any dive shop on the island will pick your hubby up at the dock.

I like Brisas because it's quiet, close enough to town to walk or take a $3 taxi vs. the $15-$20 one way taxi ride from the far southern hotels, and the all-inclusive option at Brisas is cheap enough to where you can eat there for breakfast/lunch and still go into town for dinner every night, which is what I did. Just some stuff to think about.....:)

and missed the medical emergency issue, which would be a concern with your condition. Something to consider would be proximity to town so Brisas might be a good fit, all things considered. Brisas is less than a 5 minute ride to town whereas most of the southern resorts (ie. Occidental Grand, Occidental Allegro, Iberostar) are far from town--about a 15-20 minute ride going top speed. If an ambulance had to come all the way to the southern end of the island, it would take probably 40 minutes total to come from town to the resort, get you in the ambulance and back to the hospital. I'm not trying to scare you, this is all just in case, but still something to think about. The Brisas staff was very nice and there is a phone in every room and they answer no matter what time it is. And no I don't work for Brisas, I just stayed there in June and enjoyed it so I thought it would be a good fit for all the criteria you mentioned.

Forgot to mention, congratulations on your pregnancy and all the best to you, your hubby and the new little addition to your family! :)

I stayed at Brisas in June and enjoyed it so much I'm going back in Aug. It's reasonably priced, you can pick either the European plan (meals/drinks not included except breakfast--comes with all rooms) or the All inclusive plans (meals/drinks included) so there would be no problem when you get those pregnant munchies. :) There is a HUGE pool at the hotel and a nice-sized hot tub, and their beach club across the street is VERY nice with tons of loungers, a small pool and a restaurant/bar. There is easy access to the water via wide steps with a handrail for snorkeling along with a "natural jacuzzi" with a sitting beach carved out of the rock. There is a dock for dive boat pickup and although I didn't shore dive, my friends did and said it was pretty decent. They have a dive shop right there at the beach club, Dive Paradise, or any dive shop on the island will pick your hubby up at the dock.

I like Brisas because it's quiet, close enough to town to walk or take a $3 taxi vs. the $15-$20 one way taxi ride from the far southern hotels, and the all-inclusive option at Brisas is cheap enough to where you can eat there for breakfast/lunch and still go into town for dinner every night, which is what I did. Just some stuff to think about.....:)

ftcbob once bubbled...
Hello and Congrad's

Look at Apples Vacations web site.

They have a very good index and write up of all the hotels there.

You might even find some good deals.

http://www.applevacations.com

bob

That's not all the hotels on the island; it's a list of the ones that Apple has a relationship with.

You might want to check out the El Presidente again. I got qouted a great rate from MLT or something called worry free vacations.

You might check out Playa Azul on the north end. I know - most divers don't go there-but-divers can be picked up there. It's quiet, comparitively small, great beach and pool area. The owners: Fernanco and Marta are excellent hosts and train their staff accordingly. They have a beach club attached - right next door-with watersports for those that would like other diversions.

The accomodations (rooms) are very nice. They have a food plan available if wished.

Taxi fares to downtown are cheaper than from the south.

And they will be aware of your situation (congratulations) and will have emergency service numbers and facilities on hand.

Regards,

Jim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom